What's new
What's new

WTB: South Bend 9C Change Gears

Engmaxx

Aluminum
I duplicated my posting from the commerce form...

My lathe only came with 16 stud, 54/18 compound, 72/18 compound and 80 screw gears. Diametral Pitch = 18. Looking for all the remaining english gears:

Stud: 24, 32, 40, 48
Screw: 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 56, 60

Also looking for metric conversion set.

Thanks!

IMG_0499.jpg078.jpg048.jpg

Being in Canada and shopping Ebay or any other viable source, 99% of gear sets are in the USA and the Canadian price with shipping is more than $400. Most sets aren't complete and many don't ship to Canada; I can live with either but the price is crazy from an exchange point of view.

I have been thinking of making the gears out of aluminum (my use is low so wear is not a concern) but the gear cutters are also very expensive. In fact enough so, that it would be cheaper to buy a used set. I could fly-cut them but keep in mind here that I don't have a milling machine, only the lathe. Everything is possible but time is not on my side these days.

Anyway, not sure if this was more of a rant than a recommendation request. I am open to any and all comments and opinions. :vomit:

Engmaxx,
I have a Southbend 9c that came with:
a 24 tooth stud gear
72/18 idler(?)gear
and an 80 tooth screw gear
I need to cut 5 tpi and using fig. 1 in the Thread Chart it looks like I mount an 80 tooth to the change gear bracket....do you know how to do this? because the ID of my 80T screw gear is 9/16 with a key?
Incidently, I found several listings for additional gears on ebay.
Cheers...

I duplicated my posting from the commerce form...

My lathe only came with 16 stud, 54/18 compound, 72/18 compound and 80 screw gears. Diametral Pitch = 18. Looking for all the remaining english gears:

Stud: 24, 32, 40, 48
Screw: 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 56, 60

Also looking for metric conversion set.

Thanks!

View attachment 194975View attachment 194976View attachment 194977

Not sure that you would need 2 sets of 40 and 48 gears. As far as I know, those gears are only used on the stud when setting up fine feeds (also used on the leadscrew of course).

Being in Canada and shopping Ebay or any other viable source, 99% of gear sets are in the USA and the Canadian price with shipping is more than $400. Most sets aren't complete and many don't ship to Canada; I can live with either but the price is crazy from an exchange point of view.

I have been thinking of making the gears out of aluminum (my use is low so wear is not a concern) but the gear cutters are also very expensive. In fact enough so, that it would be cheaper to buy a used set. I could fly-cut them but keep in mind here that I don't have a milling machine, only the lathe. Everything is possible but time is not on my side these days.

Anyway, not sure if this was more of a rant than a recommendation request. I am open to any and all comments and opinions. :vomit:

Seems people would need to re-mortgage their house to buy a Metric conversion gearset - prices are laughable!
I 3D printed a 47/37 for my SB (purists look away please) much like the one listed below and have had trouble free results with it after many metric thread cutting operations. I see no reason to not continue using it. Not sure if the one in the link below is expensive or not - mine cost me probably $2 or so to print.
Nothing like having metal gears of course - if your well cashed up!

SOUTH BEND 9/1K LATHE METRIC TRANSPOSING GEAR SET 3D Printed NEW | eBay

Engmaxx,
I have a Southbend 9c that came with:
a 24 tooth stud gear
72/18 idler(?)gear
and an 80 tooth screw gear
I need to cut 5 tpi and using fig. 1 in the Thread Chart it looks like I mount an 80 tooth to the change gear bracket....do you know how to do this? because the ID of my 80T screw gear is 9/16 with a key?
Incidently, I found several listings for additional gears on ebay.
Cheers...

Sorry, kinda gave up on this thread until I looked at it again today...do you still need help? I can try to rearrange what I have to see how it would go together (minus the 40 tooth screw gear).

The gears you have listed is that a complete set? I purchased a 9C and it came with a few gears, but, suspect it is not a full set as compared to pictures I have seen.

The gears you have listed is that a complete set? I purchased a 9C and it came with a few gears, but, suspect it is not a full set as compared to pictures I have seen.

:confused: No one has any gears listed for sale in this thread - unless you refer to the expired Ebay listing

:confused: No one has any gears listed for sale in this thread - unless you refer to the expired Ebay listing

I think he was asking if the list of gears in the original post comprised a complete set as from the factory. Probably to see if he is missing any.

The gears you have listed is that a complete set?

According to the page at South Bend 9-inch Lathe
"English" threading Lathes with an 8-t.p.i leadscrew and changewheels for screwcutting (i.e. without a screwcutting Gearbox) were supplied with the following changewheels when they left the factory: *16, 24, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 54, 56, 60, *80, *72/18 compound, *80 idler (with boss)

There is additional information on that page about the change gears that came with the metric version and the metric translation gears to cut metric threads on an inch machine.

Well it is exciting to see this thread continuing a year and a half later!

I did find a great complete set of English change gears and now I am looking to buy the metric transposing gears. I need the following complete set: 18, 20, 22, 26, 28, 100 and 127/100. There seems to be much more on ebay these days but not many 127/100 compound gear. Yes, the store.lathes.co.uk has them but I'm am looking for a used set.

I have some extra gears that I can trade or sell to help fund my cause: 16, 54/18, 72/18 and 80 idler (with boss).

There are lots of alternative ways to make very accurate metric threads, without needing the 100/127 compound gear. For normal fastener use, 47/37 and 80/63 are good substitutes. The latter is very close to perfect, and has the advantage of using your existing 80 tooth idler. You just need to find a 63 tooth gear, bore and pin it to the 80.

In addition, there are other techniques that involve making compounds of the gears you already have.

allan

Another gear that exists for those machines is the 116 tooth turning gear.This gear will produce a real fine feed on a C model.I have one that came with my B model, and that will produce an even finer feed.The chip looks like 0000 steel wool.It goes on the lead screw.Someone should print a batch of those.

Back