What's new
What's new

WTB a South Bend lathe 9"

Matt_50

Aluminum
I'm actively looking for a SB 9" lathe. Preferably a Model A.

It has been a few years since I worked with a lathe so I will be needing advice as I go. If and I know its a big IF, you are selling or know of one that needs a home in west Texas PM me.

Thank you,

Matthew

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm willing to drive a short ways. No offense for asking this.. but I'm assuming it would be best to see a lathe in person vs having shipped from out of state?

What do you guys think a lathe in Texas is selling for on average?

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm willing to drive a short ways. No offense for asking this.. but I'm assuming it would be best to see a lathe in person vs having shipped from out of state?

What do you guys think a lathe in Texas is selling for on average?

for a smallish garage type lathe (9-12" swing) you'll need to be patient and/ or be willing to drive a ways at short notice. I just sold a very (very!) well tooled Atlas 618 to a friend for $1000 and he was very happy with it. Just after that I saw a less well tooled one pop up on CL for $1500 :) Sometimes you see 9As pop up for $1200-1500 with little to some tooling, though usually you're looking at ~$2k with a good amount of tooling. Or you could get lucky and get a fully tooled gem for little money. Use Searchtempest to expand your area, check FB marketplace (bletch), put wanted ads up locally and wait. In the meantime read up on how to assess/ value a lathe (hint, tooling = $$$$!) so that when one pops up you can jump on it with a pocket full of bills. By the time you come on here to ask peoples opinion it will have already sold if it was a good deal.

Good advice, and I'm glad my current budget seems to be about right. I've never heard of searchtempest. Awesome tool. Thank you.

for a smallish garage type lathe (9-12" swing) you'll need to be patient and/ or be willing to drive a ways at short notice. I just sold a very (very!) well tooled Atlas 618 to a friend for $1000 and he was very happy with it. Just after that I saw a less well tooled one pop up on CL for $1500 :) Sometimes you see 9As pop up for $1200-1500 with little to some tooling, though usually you're looking at ~$2k with a good amount of tooling. Or you could get lucky and get a fully tooled gem for little money. Use Searchtempest to expand your area, check FB marketplace (bletch), put wanted ads up locally and wait. In the meantime read up on how to assess/ value a lathe (hint, tooling = $$$$!) so that when one pops up you can jump on it with a pocket full of bills. By the time you come on here to ask peoples opinion it will have already sold if it was a good deal.

Asking $1500 and getting $1500 are likely two different things. But a lot depends on area as well.

But patience is key. Keep your eye on auctions. I've seen decent lathes sell for $500, others sell for $1200. A 14" Lodge & Shipley near me sold for $350 at auction.

Back