What's new
What's new

New old stock morse taper drills

adammil1

Titanium
A friend of mine has about 30-40 large morse taper drills probably from 1.5-3" dia as far as we can tell they are all name brand made in USA drills, most of them are still wrapped up in the paper. Before we start going through the effort of listing these here one by one is there any interest? If so out of curiosity will everyone want pictures and details on each one of them before buying or will just having an itemized list and a single picture of a drill such as this one be enough;
drill.jpg

#4 MT 1-29/32 brand new drill.

Most of them are still in wrapped up in the factory papers so there is some effort to listing them here. If so what is a fair price on them? MSC has the one above listed at $300. I have a feeling that is a little too much. Checking eBay the prices on these things seem all over the map. The goofy thing too that I saw was some times you would see two bits the same size one brand new one that was real short and clearly resharpened. Occasionally the resharpened one brought more money than the new one?

So before listing this here is anyone interested? Also what is the right price?

Thanks,

Adam

Hmm.... what to charge, what to charge....

I suggest an ebay auction "Your choice of size, Morse Taper drills" as the title.

"30 available" as the count.
"Buy It Now" with a price
And "Make Offer"

How would this work?

Except for the person who wouldn't Make Offer and include the specific size in the offer, interested buyers would look at the list, and Make Offer for a specific size and (perhaps) a price lower than your Buy It Now price.

One auction, easy to go back and remove the sizes no longer available.

With my tongue firmly in my cheek, I suggest Buy It Now as $10,000.

I am interested, so please come back and post the auction link.

Thank You,
Steve Bausch

The last large drills I bought were used. About 420 lbs for $400. I had about another $100 in shipping. For a price point, I'd offer $2.00/lb for new large drills.

The last large drills I bought were used. About 420 lbs for $400. I had about another $100 in shipping. For a price point, I'd offer $2.00/lb for new large drills.

I don't have that drill above, but how much do you think that weighs? And About how many drills did you get in such a lot?

I'm interested in the 2MT, 3MT and 4MT drills at $2/pound (plus shipping). That's what my local recyclers sell them for but selection is spotty.

----------------
Barry Milton

I don't remember for sure how many drills was in that lot, maybe around 100. It included everything from MT1 to MT5, just not many MT1 to MT3. There were also some reamers.

When I said $2.00/lb, that would be a wholesale price and would cover the entire lot. No picking and choosing or removing undesirables.

Another price point would be 10-15% of new catalog. That would be a pick and choose price, your friend would probably still own about 1/2 of the drills after he was done. It all depends on how fast he wants to move the drills, and how much work he wants to put into selling them.

Double check the drills are HSS. There are still brand new NOS carbon steel drills floating around out there. Carbon steel drills are worth scrap price.

Big drills don't have the value they did 20 years ago. They are uncommon in production settings, but they still have their place. Lasers and high def. plasma can make holes much cheaper, and insert drills are much faster. It's repair and prototype shops that will have the largest demand.

I don't remember for sure how many drills was in that lot, maybe around 100. It included everything from MT1 to MT5, just not many MT1 to MT3. There were also some reamers.

When I said $2.00/lb, that would be a wholesale price and would cover the entire lot. No picking and choosing or removing undesirables.

Another price point would be 10-15% of new catalog. That would be a pick and choose price, your friend would probably still own about 1/2 of the drills after he was done. It all depends on how fast he wants to move the drills, and how much work he wants to put into selling them.

Double check the drills are HSS. There are still brand new NOS carbon steel drills floating around out there. Carbon steel drills are worth scrap price.

Big drills don't have the value they did 20 years ago. They are uncommon in production settings, but they still have their place. Lasers and high def. plasma can make holes much cheaper, and insert drills are much faster. It's repair and prototype shops that will have the largest demand.

I will have to find out what the drills are. I had figured that the market for bigger drills isn't what it used to be. I recall seeing closed auction listings where the smaller used MT drills were selling as a large lot for $150-$300 for tons of drills. With that being said I would love to get my hands on a lot like that at those prices but I can only go up to #3MT with my machines, so that rules out these ones.

How much do you guys think that drill I showed a picture of weighs. If it is 10lbs at $20each it is a bit less than what I would expect they should bring but may not be too far from reality. Would $40-$30 range be appropriate on a drill of that size. In the end of the day it isn't my call here, but I figured I would try to get a value on them before I have him start going one by one for nothing.

Thanks,

Adam

If they are all 4 and 5MT and are actually NOS USA and have a good assortment of sizes 1.5 - 3.0" (not a bunch of 1.5" and a few larger) I offer $750 for lot of not less than 30 and I will provide Fed Ex account for shipping.

You can check out my 636 positives and 100% at Ebay user name altair8d

J.O.

Well I got an approximate weight at 5lbs i think at that rate $10each they will probably sit there for a while perhaps I will get an actual list of what is in there later in the week if my friend gets the motivation to do so. A lot of them are still wrapped so it is a bit of work to inventory. There are also some large diameter reamers. No doubt that they cost a mint new but I would have to think those are even worth less than the drills.

Sent a PM..but I guess not interested in moving these!!

Hi Jay,

Sorry about this I discussed it with my friend who owns all the drills and sometime early next week he is going to go through all of them and give me a big picture and itemized list of what he has that I will likely post here. I know that at $2 per pound he isn't too excited to sort through these and it is going to remain a very low priority for him. Would $35-$40 on large brand new ones each be reasonable and maybe $20-25 be reasonable on the used ones?

I am just helping the guy sell some of the stuff here, in this case he and I realize there is some work to do on all of these drills and it is just a question of if they are worth enough to go to be elevated on the priority list to go through the effort of sorting them.

Hi Jay,

Sorry about this I discussed it with my friend who owns all the drills and sometime early next week he is going to go through all of them and give me a big picture and itemized list of what he has that I will likely post here. I know that at $2 per pound he isn't too excited to sort through these and it is going to remain a very low priority for him. Would $35-$40 on large brand new ones each be reasonable and maybe $20-25 be reasonable on the used ones?

I am just helping the guy sell some of the stuff here, in this case he and I realize there is some work to do on all of these drills and it is just a question of if they are worth enough to go to be elevated on the priority list to go through the effort of sorting them.

Tell me what you have...drills and reamers...and maybe take the whole lot if we can make a deal.

Jay

There's a derisive saying about a group of people in the Middle East that goes "They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity" :nutter:

Google it, the first hit is correct.

At the least, your offer should have been met with "thanks, that's a great offer, but my buddy....."

Wow, a little harsh here, I apologize for not initially acknowledging John Oder's offer here, but still keep in mind the situation. A friend of mine has inhereted his father's buisness. The place was more or less a specialized job shop run by his father and now being run by the son. The father also attended tons of auctions and bought up lots of stuff making him a part time used machinery dealer too. The place still is a going buisness but with the economy work is slow and the son is trying to wind things down and generate some extra cash. I have been helping him and also offering nice items at fair prices to all of you here who are interested. There is a lot of neat stuff in there, as well as a ton of obsolete items that likely are worth little more than scrap.

I don't know if you have ever liquidated a situation like this but just cleaning, photographing and listing everything can take loads of time and you have to prioritize when there are thousands of items there, and a buisness with parts to make too. I told the guy that those drills may be worth something if he takes the effort to go through them all and document sizes, conditions as well as get me a picture, but I had no idea on value.

I have seen the pile and I know there are some drills like the one photoed but there are also some big reamers too in there. I have no idea yet on the quantity of either in the pile other than to say there are likely at least 30 maybe more reamers or drills, no idea if the reamers are standard size or if they were custom for a particluar job and likely completly worthless.

These drills mostly appear to be in the brown waxed paper right now and also covered in a bit of dust. It will take time for my friend to see how many diamonds lie in the rough. No idea on quantity yet of anything, so I have no way of accepting John Oder's offer until they get sorted and we find out if there are indeed 30 or more drills or not.

If I tell him that they are worth $2/lb I can almost guarantee you that these will be much farther down on the list of priorities when cleaning out the shop for sure. Based off of eBay I can not figure out what they are worth as prices are all over the map. At the very least from what I read now that it would appear that there is enough interest to make going through this worth his while that I may have more details for everyone early this week.

Is this a good enough explanation for you? Once again I do apologize for not initially acknowldging JO's offer it will be considered providing I get a better idea of what is in the pile.

Back