What's new
What's new

1.5" x 12" Long Aluminum Round Bar

Even McMaster is only charging $15 for 6061 this size. ����*♂️

Amusing aspect of McM pricing on "generic" 6061 bar of this size. They list a 12" piece as being $15.50/ea, but if you go by their "Cut your own length over 12" by the inch", and get a piece 13" long, it's $14.95! Rare that they have that sort of pricing goof.

[Not a referendum of the OP's selling his bar, just a McM curiosity]

Even McMaster is only charging $15 for 6061 this size. ����*♂️

Ive learned when dealing with McMaster their prices arent always right. I ordered a piece of 932 Cord Bronze. Price showed one thing on their site. When to call and order it and it was $40 more. LOL

if that is true that it might only cost around 15 bucks, or $6.25 delivered from my local supplier....then I will offer a bulk savings price and sell them in 20 piece lots and sell them for $34. each plus shipping.

Oh wait, I'm retired so forget the deal.

6061. I didnt realize prices were so down on Aluminum.

Uh... Prices are at record highs right now. I don't recall ever paying more than $3 a pound for 6061 ever and that's where we're at.

Your little rem there weighs 2 pounds.

2 pounds of aluminum is six bucks retail price at any aluminum supplier.

If you have a business and an account you can get free delivery and probably get a better deal if you're spending a few thousand bucks or more at a time.

I guess the part about this I find amusing is I make stuff, finished products with anodizing and packaging that sell for less. They have more than 2 pounds of aluminum in them and sell for less than $35 shipped.

From the sticky above...

3. Do not bother someone unless you actually want to (or may want to buy it).

11. If you are only interested in trolling it is not welcome.

So which one of you self appointed Price Police is buying it?

From the sticky above...

The sticky is missing

XX. Do pricing research before posting material and parts at above normal retail, otherwise you risk scorn and humiliation.

Ive learned when dealing with McMaster their prices arent always right. I ordered a piece of 932 Cord Bronze. Price showed one thing on their site. When to call and order it and it was $40 more. LOL

I've never heard of that happening, if it did, it would be a one off deal i'm sure.

So that's how you priced the Bar? You looked on the McM site saw it was 8974K18 at $15.50, assumed it must be wrong and priced it at $35

BTW certs with a traceable lot number is availible from McM for that material.

You got certs for your material?

I've never heard of that happening, if it did, it would be a one off deal i'm sure.

So that's how you priced the Bar? You looked on the McM site saw it was 8974K18 at $15.50, assumed it must be wrong and priced it at $35

BTW certs with a traceable lot number is availible from McM for that material.

You got certs for your material?

Its basic aluminum bar stock And why would I need certs. This is from my home shop. I dont need certs and there is nothing on this bar to identify it. I know its 6061 as Im the one who bought the 10 foot bar for making parts for a friend of mine.

The sticky is missing

XX. Do pricing research before posting material and parts at above normal retail, otherwise you risk scorn and humiliation.

I feel neither scorn nor humiliation. I just know what ive sold similar drops of this same length and diameter for $35 shipped. Thats the only reason it was priced this way. I didnt sell my last drop here. It was sold on facebook machinist group.

From the sticky above...

I read OK and to me at least, rule #11 seems to very clearly state that it's OK to let somebody know they're off their rocker if you do it in a constructive way.

11. Be civil. If you are only interested in trolling it is not welcome. I understand that some people need a kick but it is getting out of hand and I will start to delete posts. I do understand that some ads need to have the OP called out. But be constructive and dont be a jerk.

I felt like pointing out the seller was asking 600% more than full retail price for his item was a reasonable, constructive, non-trolling kind of thing to do.

Even being very, very lazy with shipping that bar rem can go in a padded flat rate envelope and ship USPS flat rate anywhere in the USA including Alaska and Hawaii for around $7.85 or a bit over $8.50 if you walk in and ship retail.

I feel neither scorn nor humiliation. I just know what ive sold similar drops of this same length and diameter for $35 shipped. Thats the only reason it was priced this way. I didnt sell my last drop here. It was sold on facebook machinist group.

LOL a hobbyist machinist and his money are easily parted. I can somewhat understand that, if the hobbyist doesn't know about McM or other sources, and only buys small qty's of material every year, then they could well find ebay/FB conveniant and not quible at the price.

------------------------------------------------

Somebody did come into my shop a while ago and looked at my rem rack, I throw nothing away, he said I'd be surprised what people will pay for rems on ebay.

LOL a hobbyist machinist and his money are easily parted. I can somewhat understand that, if the hobbyist doesn't know about McM or other sources, and only buys small qty's of material every year, then they could well find ebay/FB conveniant and not quible at the price.

------------------------------------------------

Somebody did come into my shop a while ago and looked at my rem rack, I throw nothing away, he said I'd be surprised what people will pay for rems on ebay.

I mean im a prototype/job shop machinist but have a "home" shop. I do jobs for friends and make things for my rocketry and friends cars. But yeah I do quite a bit of selling drops when they sit on my shelf for longer than say 2 years. Hell I just sold a Titanium drop and Leadalloy drop the other day.

I read OK and to me at least, rule #11 seems to very clearly state that it's OK to let somebody know they're off their rocker if you do it in a constructive way.

Off their rocker?? It is $35 shipped not $350, get a life.

You could have sent the OP a PM if you felt this was so important to humanity or the OP mental health was in jeopardy.
But you didn't and then the public dogpile starts.

And this isn't the 1st time I have noticed you trolling ads with no intention to buy.

Back