What's new
What's new

CNC lathe Traub TND 630

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
lathe%20(2)lathe.jpg (picture from the manual) I bought this machine several years back from a shop in Chicago that bought it new and only used it for prototype work. 24.8" max swing 68" centers. I live away from three phase and never could run it at my shop. I was able to see it operate only by programming the spindle speed in small increments for increase and decrease. A large speed change would drop my voltage and shut the machine down. I tried a 50,000 watt generator but the spindle, on deceleration, sends a current back to the generator shutting it down. It has a chip conveyor, power chuck and tailstock quill. It is possibly 40 hp (34-41 kw) and it requires a lot of power to rapidly accelerate the chuck/spindle. I talked to the Traub service and there are only two this size in the US, this one and one at a naval shipyard in San Diego. It is the back of a heated storage building now and pictures would be difficult. 12 tool stations, #6 MT tailstock, four speed gear box for high torque at lower speeds, coolant, approx. 12,000 lbs, steady rest. I have no plans of ever getting back in the shop running and I'm not a production shop and it is taking valuable space. I believe the shop that purchased it new paid $200K for it. This one should really be a deal for someone, PM me any offer. I paid less than 10K for it about eight years ago. I may be able to answer any questions you have about it.

Back