What's new
What's new

Baldor 3 hp Vector Drive motors, new surplus.

Overland

Stainless
I have (4) Baldor ZDNM3661T Vector Drive motors for sale.
These are brand new "surplus" motors in original Baldor boxes.

There motors are called 1000:1 variable speed motors, capable of running as low as 1 hz frequency with a maximum speed of 6,000 rpm.

The have constant torque from 0 to 1,750 rpm, then constant 3 hp up to almost 6,000 rpm.

These would be ideal to replace the variable speed belts on a 3 hp BP clone.

Specs: 3 hp. 3 phase, 230/460 volt, 1800 rpm.
They have an encoder fitted, but this is only necessary when running very low speed (less than 100 rpm).
They will run with any VFD.

I'm asking $1,200 ea which is much less than half current new prices.
I can build a small crate and ship LTL for whatever the shipper will charge; they weigh about 120 lbs with the crate.

Thanks for your interest.

https://www.baldorvip.com/Product/InfoPacketExternal/?id=ZDNM3661T

IMG_3512.jpgIMG_3516.jpgIMG_3514.jpg

I sold 240,000 pounds of brand new electric motors once. Took bids for a couple months and ended up with 27 cents a pound. I still have a few pallets of them, including some Baldor motors. Every few months I sell one for about 1/8 of new price after shipping and expenses.

I sold 240,000 pounds of brand new electric motors once. Took bids for a couple months and ended up with 27 cents a pound. I still have a few pallets of them, including some Baldor motors. Every few months I sell one for about 1/8 of new price after shipping and expenses.
Got anything suitable for an RPC idler in the 10ish hp range?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

No doubt that these are quality motors but they are a hard sell unless cheap. The reality is the 1000:1 speed range is a great marketing tool, but unnecessary in 99% of our applications especially when on a BP clone. The TENV enclosure is nice though. And 3 hp is normally too small to be much use on a cnc where the encoder could be of value.

But a standard TEFC is almost always fine on a BP clone. For example, within the last year, bought a WEG 3 hp 1800 aluminum frame motor new for a Lagun mill conversion. Paid around $400 delivered. I really like the aluminum frame versions for these applications because they are much easier to handle. They are more than adequate for these applications. But its probably a $500 motor today - prices have seriously shot up on motors.

Wish you luck with the sale! They are nice motors..........

Picture of the recent conversion.

weg motor.jpg

Thanks for comments.

These are premium Inverter Duty motors, with an incredible speed range.

I'm putting one on my BP clone. I'm using a single belt with 1:2 reduction pulleys.
This will give me the following speed options, fully variable with a VFD:

10 Hz - 140 / 18 spindle rpm Hi/Low gear (approx).
30 Hz - 450 / 54
60 Hz - 900 / 108
90 Hz - 1350 / 160
120 Hz - 1800 / 220
200 Hz - 3000 / 370 max motor speed.

Constant torque up to 60 Hz, then constant HP up to max motor speed.
I chose this belt reduction ratio as it gives me a excellent speed for a 3" carbide tipped face mill at 60 Hz.

I am open to offers.
Thanks,
Bob

How about $800 each for these superb motors ?
Great up grade for BP clone, with a 5 hp Fuji VFD for under $300 !
I was drilling a 7/8" dia hole on my machine at about 20 Hz in high gear with no issues.
Superb for tapping !
Bob

I have (4) Baldor ZDNM3661T Vector Drive motors for sale.
These are brand new "surplus" motors in original Baldor boxes.
There motors are called 1000:1 variable speed motors, capable of running as low as 1 hz frequency with a maximum speed of 6,000 rpm.
The have constant torque from 0 to 1,750 rpm, then constant 3 hp up to almost 6,000 rpm.
Specs: 3 hp. 3 phase, 230/460 volt, 1800 rpm.
They have an encoder fitted, but this is only necessary when running very low speed (less than 100 rpm).
They will run with any VFD.

I'm asking $1,000 ea which is much less than a third of current new prices.
I can build a small crate and ship LTL for whatever the shipper will charge; they weigh about 120 lbs with the crate. Or local pick-up near Greenville SC.
Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• IMG_3516(1).jpg
    IMG_3516(1).jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3510(1).jpg
    IMG_3510(1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3507(1).jpg
    IMG_3507(1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
I see it is TE (totally enclosed) with no fan. Does it need an external motor and fan to maintain a safe running temperature at rated loads? The nameplate mentions a blower, apparently an add-on option which is not included/attached to this motor.

I installed an 1140 RPM TE three phase motor on my Rockwell VS drill press. In my shop, drilling an occasional hole will never cause the motor to overheat. I guess a seldom/lightly used Bridgeport might be a similar situation.

Larry

I have one motor available with a large external fan.
I have also used one of these motors on my BP clone, about 2 years ago. I rarely use backgear now, other than to release the drawbar nut. For most operations, milling, drilling etc, the motor runs at 40 Hz or more, so no cooling issues. Tapping is the only operation that I run the motor very slowly. It's magic just to turn down the frequency and us the VFD to reverse direction !
I set the motor on the motor on my BP clone with a 1:2 ratio using fixed pulleys.
60 Hz is 1750 rpm at the motor, 800 rpm spindle.
So 30 Hz is 400 rpm.
Tapping at 10 hz is about 130 rpm in high gear, and it works really well.
Conversely, 120 Hz is 3,500 motor rpm and 1,750 spindle; and the motor is rated up to 6,000 rpm.
An excellent replacement for a Reeves drive.
Bob

Back