What's new
What's new

Boring Head, Enco?

Rogue_Machinist

Hot Rolled
I was at my buddies garage today, he recently bought the building from the previous owners estate. Tons of junk on the shelves but I came across this boring head today. There is no box and I cant tell if its in working order but from what I can tell it looks like it should be. Wondering if anyone know who makes this and what it might be worth. Thanks.

20220106_115614_HDR.jpg
20220106_115617_HDR.jpg
20220106_115627_HDR.jpg

He said its mine. I have literally no use for it. So id be selling it. My home mill is dead. So I just do my milling at work.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I have two, they're pretty nice. You can select two advance speeds by turning the allen screw on the side of the knurled advance ring. The second one I got for my Bridgeport as it was an r8, cost was just $250. Pretty sure I got a deal as the first one was about $500 on eBay several years ago. We use them for boring or facing the cylinder seating surface on Porsche engine cases.

Yeah at my actual shop where I work they literally have any boring head or face mill or fly cutter. Hence I dont wanna fill my shop cabinet with a bunch of stuff ill likely never use. And since my mill decided to break and dont feel like scrounging for out of stock obsolete parts ill likely scrap it and just do my g jobs at work. My boss doesnt care. LOL.

I bought a new one from Enco around 1975 and it is marked Made in France, so it was made by Gamet. Ten or more years ago, I bought another (larger) one on eBay that looked in the pictures just like my French one, but it was marked Enco Made in India. So do not assume they are all French.

Larry

Well I will be taking possession of this boring head on Monday. I will get more pictures. And certainty if its an Enco or something else. But ive also been told to make sure its fully functional. And if not im sure someone on here can do the work to make it fully functional.

The Enco heads marked Made in France were very very good, nicer than Criterion.

I too got stung on one that looked identical to their re-badged Gamut from Enco, made in india. Looked pretty good on the outside.

The internals looked like they were machined by termites. Dead soft ratchet and pawl, poorly fit.
I considered making some new pieces for it, but tossed it in the trash after the second job.

Thats the weird thing. There are no markings at all on the head itself except the adjustment ring. And my buddy thinks he already threw the box for it away. He is pretty sure when they first moved in he was cleaning off shelves and if a box was empty it got tossed in the trash!

Trying to figure if this thing is for sale , and is it available , how much ?? :)
Obviously interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trying to figure if this thing is for sale , and is it available , how much ?? :)
Obviously interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was for sale. Just sold it about an hour ago. I knew this was a better place for posting it to get an idea of who made it and what it was worth. LOL.

And yes this item is SOLD!!!!!

Back