What's new
What's new

Box o' machinist stuff - what's it worth?

ryanjg117

Plastic
Howdy, hobbyist woodworker out of his league here. I won this "box o' machinist" stuff at auction recently and was thinking about just selling it for $100 on my local Craigslist, but after looking through some of the boxes (one of which has, I don't know, 100 carbide inserts in it), I figured it might be a good idea to check with some experts on what it could be worth, and how best to sell it. Here's some pictures:

IMG_20191020_185556.jpg

IMG_20191020_185551.jpg

IMG_20191020_185541.jpg

IMG_20191020_185536.jpg

IMG_20191020_185533.jpg

A few more pictures. I've reached the attachment limit so will try to include more in a reply.

Additional pictures:

IMG_20191020_185610.jpg

IMG_20191020_185655.jpg

IMG_20191020_185703.jpg

IMG_20191020_185711.jpg

IMG_20191020_185735.jpg

I know there's a boring bar in there and some specialized drills which don't have a standard chuck that I'm familiar with. Any ideas what they are and what the lot might be worth? Thanks!

the most valuable thing in the whole box is probably the old wood handled angle repeater (sliding tee bevel). The big cutter with the pin is an anular cutter made for a magnetic drill press, if sharp might be worth something. The other drill bit next to it looks like a hole saw arbor. not sure on boring bar value, check ebay for completed listings but I would guess they are selling for $15 or so.
Used carbide inserts might get you some recycle money.

If I was going to buy that box I dont think I would want to pay much more than $20 or so. I dont think I would try to sell as a lot if I was selling it. But then the hassle outweighs the gain, so probably I would either scrap it or hang onto it, depending on mood that day.

I also see an interchangeable pilot counterbore in there. The indexable boring bar might fetch a few bucks. The annular cutter and the hole saw arbor too, but all together I'd guess not more than $50ish. Carbide inserts aren't worth much if not NIB.

Value of the 1" WNMG boring bar will depend on who the maker is. I just purchased a brand new identical bar, made by Kennemetal, for $40. It's 12" long. Chinese knockoffs are off my radar, but wayyyyyy cheaper.

The CNMG inserts look mostly used up, but someone may want them for a neutral holder, MCMNN, for deburring and beveling. Great way to use the "other" 4 cutting edges per side.

$100 might be a bit ambitious.....but you never know how folks will spend their dough.

Not sure what the going rate for scrap carbide is, but a quick Google says it is $5 a pound. That is all your 100 inserts is worth as they are obviously used.

The hand wheel looks just like one off of a Phase II rotary table of ours. The hold down clamps might be from the same. Black pieces in the white box look like table travel limit pieces off of a surface grinder. The inserts might be good for someone chewing them up on a rough job like cleaning up weldments or castings.

Half of that stuff has some value individually if you document the information for each piece and price it fairly, the other half looks like it SHOULD have been included with other machines from the auction, but on it's own it's scrap.

Value of the 1" WNMG boring bar will depend on who the maker is. I just purchased a brand new identical bar, made by Kennemetal, for $40. It's 12" long. Chinese knockoffs are off my radar, but wayyyyyy cheaper.

Thanks for the insight. Does the fact it's a Sumitoyo brand boring bar (model BMWLNR164) make any difference here? I'm seeing prices new around $225 but perhaps this just goes to show how steep the depreciation curve is on non-Starrett brand tools.

Back