What's new
What's new

Brown and sharpe 1021

carlquib

Aluminum
I'm looking for a battery charger and manual for a brown and sharpe 599-1021 gage amplifier. The charger number is 99-1020-6. If anyone has one or both of these items and is willing to part with them, please let me know. Alternately if you know where I could find these items I would appreciate a heads up.

My name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic.
3d375e137f5b736d61dd555de53cb169.jpg

Hi Brian,
I've got a 99-1020-6 charger. It outputs 20.7V DC. $15 shipped. Send me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the mail.

I don't own a 1021 but with my 1020 and 1022 the batteries were shot so I replaced them with 12V AA battery packs. Of course if you do this you most likely would have to modify the charging circuit if you wanted to still use the charger.

Manuals can be requested from Tesa at the following link: http://tesatechnology.com/en-us/contact/contact/#/.W-BzPJNKiHs
I've used this method to get manuals for the 1022 and 1025.

Hi Brian,
I've got a 99-1020-6 charger. It outputs 20.7V DC. $15 shipped. Send me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the mail.

I don't own a 1021 but with my 1020 and 1022 the batteries were shot so I replaced them with 12V AA battery packs. Of course if you do this you most likely would have to modify the charging circuit if you wanted to still use the charger.

Manuals can be requested from Tesa at the following link: http://tesatechnology.com/en-us/contact/contact/#/.W-BzPJNKiHs

What BugRobotics said, it's really simple to add your own battery pack and the times I've seen the power plugs come up on ebay they're way overpriced.

BugRobotics fixed me up, but I will keep the repowering option in mind incase I ever have trouble with my rechargeable battery.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

At the risk of replying to a long dead thread, I just picked up a 1021 but no charger or probes.

I too am on the lookout for a compatible lever-type 599-981 probe and charger.

If anyone could tell me the amperage rating printed on the adapter, I'd appreciate it. Until I find one, I can dial in the voltage/current on my bench supply.

Torin...

Hi Brian,
I've got a 99-1020-6 charger. It outputs 20.7V DC. <snip>

I don't own a 1021 but with my 1020 and 1022 the batteries were shot so I replaced them with 12V AA battery packs.
<snip>

Bug,

Followed your advice and got a manual. Got my 1021 this weekend and opened it up to see the battery pack leaked from one end. Counted the cells (5 that I could see), multiples by 1.2V = 6V. Wired it up and now it’s working... except now I read you used 12V, and i the manual states 11.5V.

How many cells do you recall were in your battery pack? 10? My cells were 1/2AA-sized. Confused by how you got ten but I have only five, yet your recollection jives with the specs in the manual, and mine doesn’t. Could they have switched over to NiMh at some point?

Bug,

Followed your advice and got a manual. Got my 1021 this weekend and opened it up to see the battery pack leaked from one end. Counted the cells (5 that I could see), multiples by 1.2V = 6V. Wired it up and now it’s working... except now I read you used 12V, and i the manual states 11.5V.

How many cells do you recall were in your battery pack? 10? My cells were 1/2AA-sized. Confused by how you got ten but I have only five, yet your recollection jives with the specs in the manual, and mine doesn’t. Could they have switched over to NiMh at some point?

Glad you were successful with the manual. I don't remember how many batteries were in the pack. I just threw in a AA pack that was wired up for 12V and haven't looked back!

Glad you were successful with the manual. I don't remember how many batteries were in the pack. I just threw in a AA pack that was wired up for 12V and haven't looked back!

Bug, and FYI for anyone interested:

I was reluctant to destroy the original power pack, but after your response I opened it up. Five cardboard sleeves were what gave me the impression of five cells, but cutting open the tubes revealed nine (9) individual 1/3AA NiCad cells. Based on the manual's spec of 11.5V for the battery, my guess is that they take into account a reasonably full charge voltage of 1.27V per cell which over time drops to 1.2V (10.8) nominal voltage.

If you are concerned you could be running yours hot with the alkaline batteries (8 cells = 12V, but at 1.6V peak charge you're running at 12.8V), I doubt it. I was looking at peak voltages for fully charged NiCd cells and have seen reports as high as 1.6V for an initial 100% charge, which puts the NiCd pack voltage even higher than yours. In other words, they probably designed for this wide voltage swing and my guess is you're within spec.

I'll be sourcing NiCds and populating a permanent 9-cell battery pack so later (if I can find one) I can use the original charging adapter.

Torin...

Back