What's new
What's new

WTB taper attachment for 14" reed prentice lathe

Looked like so as of December 1930. Similar to Hendey, from their description, I gather they moved whole screw / dial / ball crank during T/A functioning

Attachments

• RP Taper Attach Dec 1930.jpg
    RP Taper Attach Dec 1930.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 193
Bump but suspect this is unobtanium...

If i cant find a direct replacement, i'd be interested in adapting something appropriately sized. If you have something you think might work, please let me know.

Mark

Bump but suspect this is unobtanium...

If i cant find a direct replacement, i'd be interested in adapting something appropriately sized. If you have something you think might work, please let me know.

Mark

I don't have one for sale but I've got one on a 16" rp if it's similar to the 14", i can provide pics or dims. if it helps. It's a 1954.

I don't have one for sale but I've got one on a 16" rp if it's similar to the 14", i can provide pics or dims. if it helps. It's a 1954.

Are these telescoping? That involves parts you can't even see. (telescoping T/As have a two piece cross slide screw with a slip joint)

Not sure, I'll need to check when i get back to the shop

Thirties catalog suggests they are telescoping - by this statement:

"the taper attachment will deliver its action to the bottom block through the screw also attached secured to the taper bar shoe"

In other words - the screw can MOVE fore and aft in relation to the cross slide ball crank handle - the slip joint allowing this

Not sure if pics and dims will help but they certainly won't hurt. By the way, how do you like the RP? The reading i've done here is a bit mixed on the quality of these machines. I've got a hendey 14 x 8 tiebar as well as the RP. The hendey is beautifully made but the RP is is clearly the stouter machine.

Not sure if pics and dims will help but they certainly won't hurt. By the way, how do you like the RP? The reading i've done here is a bit mixed on the quality of these machines. I've got a hendey 14 x 8 tiebar as well as the RP. The hendey is beautifully made but the RP is is clearly the stouter machine.

I actually enjoy running it. The controls are laid out well, holds tolerance well. Everything falls naturally to the hand when operating and rather smooth. Headstock/gears are a bit noisy. I did luck up in the fact that it hasn't seen a lot of use or abuse. It came out of a local cotton mill maintenance shop i was given to understand. The ways are known to be soft but mine are in good shape. It's a 1954 16x60. Came with taper attachment, steady rest, follow rest, 10"3 jaw and 14" 4 jaw including the spanner wrench.

What year is yours? Rp made a solid rugged lathe. You can bury the cutting tool and really hog metal without breaking a sweat on these lathes. Hodge

Last edited:
I actually enjoy running it. The controls are laid out well, holds tolerance well. Everything falls naturally to the hand when operating and rather smooth. Headstock/gears are a bit noisy. I did luck up in the fact that it hasn't seen a lot of use or abuse. It came out of a local cotton mill maintenance shop i was given to understand. The ways are known to be soft but mine are in good shape. It's a 1954 16x60. Came with taper attachment, steady rest, follow rest, 10"3 jaw and 14" 4 jaw including the spanner wrench.

What year is yours? Rp made a solid rugged lathe. You can bury the cutting tool and really hog metal without breaking a sweat on these lathes. Hodge

Mine is a 1935-ish 14 x 30. It started life as a gift from the Worster Polytech Class of 1885 to the class f 1935. It too has seen very little use. I need to fabricate a backplate for the chuck and make a thread dial and of course, no taper attachment but otherwise in very good condition. Headstock gears are also loud but such is the nature of spur gears. I really like the fact that it has no oil pump or lines to foul. As a hobby guy, i can afford to manually lube all the points before i use it.

Attachments

• IMAG0798.jpg
    IMAG0798.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0799.jpg
    IMAG0799.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 88
That's a good looking rp. I can certainly see the lineage progression. Does yours utilize the silent chain drive from the motor? Nice looking shop by the way.

Interestingly enough I have one off of a 1939 16" R-P I scrapped out many years ago. It's not original, but made by a skilled machinist friend when he bought the machine in the early 70's. I will dig it out of storage and take some pictures if you are interested.

The 14 and 16" R-P's are pretty identical so it should fit.

Interestingly enough I have one off of a 1939 16" R-P I scrapped out many years ago. It's not original, but made by a skilled machinist friend when he bought the machine in the early 70's. I will dig it out of storage and take some pictures if you are interested.

The 14 and 16" R-P's are pretty identical so it should fit.

perfect, i'll pm you my email

Back