What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe Slotter attachment

alum100k

Cast Iron
Looking to find a slotter for a Brown & Sharpe #2 Universal mill. This is older series with single round ram of 3 1/2" diameter. Taper drive is #10 B&S but there are other ways to mount both the drive and the fixture. It would be cool if someone here, had something that is applicable. Thankyou.

Just an update to this search: The mill isn't mine so I remember it has a tapered spindle nose. The face of the nose has slots, as to drive a unit with a key. It doesn't have anything to do with the B&S because the slotter unit is clamped to the vertical ways. There may be an overarm support for the single ram. PM here for advise or unit availability. Thanks.

This is as good as place as any to post the taper nose scans. From the 1925 catalog 138. Don't know when this nose came out, but was gone by January 1928 (the "standard" milling machines by then having NMTB 50 spindle noses)

Note the OD taper was 3 1/2" per foot on dia. - same as NMTB series - and therefore quite easy to remove - but also limited to the face mills designed to fit on this taper

As can be seen, there were two sizes of taper noses

Replaced the threaded spindle nose

Attachments

• Scan 01.jpg
    Scan 01.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Scan 03.jpg
    Scan 03.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Scan 04.jpg
    Scan 04.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 56
John, Thanks for posting those scans.
I have a #2 B&S Universal that has the taper nose spindle. The mill has 1918 pat. date on the column.
The face mill mounted on the outside taper of the spindle nose would be held in place by a "T" shaped driver which in turn
is drawn in by the draw bar. I have the driver but have not seen any of the face mills.
Attached is a related ad from B&S and photos of the tapered spindle nose.
B&S Taper Nose Spindle.jpgBrown & Sharpe 2 Universal Mill 4.jpgBrown & Sharpe 2 Universal Mill 2.jpgBrown & Sharpe 2 Universal Mill 3.jpg
John

First I have to appreciate Johnoder. He knows this stuff, where to find it and post it for us. If nothing comes from this, it still stands as information to the ages.

Jhruska Do you realize what impact that makes to owners of that series mill! To see that nose again. Let me tell you, he is a great person. A first responder guy and injured during saving other peoples' lives. He tore up the floor of his shop and fixed huge beams to support that mill.

As time moves on, less likely to find these attachments. I thought it would be good for him and his mill.

Back