What's new
What's new

Buyers paying with PayPal please note !

JohnEvans

Titanium
If you purchase something using Paypal note that if you are being a nice guy cover the fees using Friends & family Paypal does not show your address for shipping ! And if your profile does not include a email addy sell only can contact you via PM's PM system for the needed address.

And ... you have zero protection when PMers decide to hose you out of $415 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And ... you have zero protection when PMers decide to hose you out of $415 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep ! And that is why I never ask any of my buyers to do F&F . And I rather than doing F&F if the seller wants that I will add money on my end to cover the fees for MY protection! To me Paypal fee's are just a cost of the sale.

I've bought a few things from members here. Once a member requested I use the friends and family to save Paypal transaction fees. I wasn't bothered by the request, but it really wasn't a friends and family deal, so I opted to use the business transaction and paid the extra % whatever it was, out of my own pocket, to make the transaction legit and make the seller happy.

Really, a small percentage extra isn't a big deal, unless it's a large transaction.

I can understand folks rebelling against feeding the monster of Paypal (They are way overpaid for their service, imo.) But I have to deal with credit cards and various fees in my business all the time. I don't like the sand bag drag of these kinds of financial instruments, but it's the most practical for longer term, non-face-to-face transactions likely to occur on the "For Sale" here.

I would never ask someone to pay F&F once we get going with a deal, but I do often put up front in the ad that it is the only way I will accept paypal. A lot of used stuff is sold "as-is" cash only with the understanding that there will be no returning it, so if you want to pay with paypal then F&F is the closest to cash. There policy has always heavily favored buyers when it comes to a dispute. It is easy to get ripped off both ways in my experience.

If the fees bug you as a seller (or buyer). I think it's only fair that the buyer and seller split the fee. Its a convenience for both buyer & seller, and protection as well. Why should the seller have to absorb it?

If you deal w/ me, expect to split that fee. Or I will be happy to take your check if you want none of paypal. But check will have to clear before I ship.

If the fees bug you as a seller (or buyer). I think it's only fair that the buyer and seller split the fee. Its a convenience for both buyer & seller, and protection as well. Why should the seller have to absorb it?

No !
Let's pull every loophole and find every crack in the system, to save a buck.

FWIW "CNC4pc" tried that crap on me, refunding my check (payment in full) on circuit board that was bad, using PayPal F&F, and didn't even ask me (I don't have PP).

It's the American way !

I always insist on the buyer using "payment for goods". If someone uses F&F, I refund it (just did that yesterday).

If I'm using a flat-rate box, shipping is a breeze, if not, I still have a confirmed address.

Also, besides just being plain old theft of services, it's probably a federal offense, as it might come under wire fraud.

Steve

Although I certainly appreciate when a buyer compensates PP fees for me and take it as a way to demonstrate special trust and satisfaction, I consider the fee to be a cost of doing business.

Heck, if your well being depends on this amount, increase your asking price 3% instead of looking like a penny pincher. Naturally, when the selling price is high, this can become a real concern and should be worked out on a case-by-case basis.

On top of the fee concern, comparing Paypal's "Payment for goods" with cleared check or money order is like comparing credit card payment or third party escrow arrangement with direct cash exchange in terms of security. There is a trust issue here: if you don't trust the buyer and send your goods only after payment is cleared, why should he trust you with his money?

I know that we derailed the subject of the OP. It's helpful to know that F@F option doesn't provide shipping address. Thank you John.

If I can't buy with VISA / MC I ain't buying it

I want the protection offered by the bank card

Way too many scams and fraud

Pay Pal user agreement is not for me

Also, besides just being plain old theft of services, it's probably a federal offense, as it might come under wire fraud.

It was my understanding that the language in the user agreement referenced business transactions explicitly, but on further review it does broadly reference any transfer of goods. I also thought that F&F payments were all still charged 2.9% transaction fees on the senders end, but it appears that they are free if funds come from a linked bank acct. So that all does make me re-think my stance on using it being okay. When I have used it the money was never the concern you just work that into the cost. It was a matter of someone not being able to buy x device sold broken as-is for parts, and then 10days later saying "hey I plugged it in and it doesn't work" I want my money back.

I will say that most of F&F/Venmo transactions are typically to pay friends/family for something, and I don't remember any of my friends ever sending me over a true "gift" payment with any of these services. So I feel like there is a gray area in the policy that they are aware of having created.
When I sell a small part or something over a forum I usually do not consider it a transaction of my business, and I am usually not really profiting off of it either. When I am selling through the business then we don't take PayPal I just run a card through our regular processer. Any large sum of money for equipment or the like is usually wire transferred anyway.

...I feel like there is a gray area in the policy that they are aware of having created. When I sell a small part or something over a forum I usually do not consider it a transaction of my business, and I am usually not really profiting off of it either...

There are lots of ways to rationalize cheating. It's a slippery slope.

Although I certainly appreciate when a buyer compensates PP fees for me and take it as a way to demonstrate special trust and satisfaction, I consider the fee to be a cost of doing business.

Heck, if your well being depends on this amount, increase your asking price 3% instead of looking like a penny pincher. Naturally, when the selling price is high, this can become a real concern and should be worked out on a case-by-case basis.

On top of the fee concern, comparing Paypal's "Payment for goods" with cleared check or money order is like comparing credit card payment or third party escrow arrangement with direct cash exchange in terms of security. There is a trust issue here: if you don't trust the buyer and send your goods only after payment is cleared, why should he trust you with his money?

I know that we derailed the subject of the OP. It's helpful to know that F@F option doesn't provide shipping address. Thank you John.

Is the fee 3% or is that a guess? The reason I ask is I recently purchased something using the "regular" way (goods and services or whatever it is called) and I rounded up the dollar amount to an even number. It came out to be like $3 and change, no big deal. But the seller than 'chided' me for not using the friends and family wtf? At 3%, if that really is the fee, they still came out ahead by like $1. I know it's basically pocket change, but still... :wrong:

There are lots of ways to rationalize cheating. It's a slippery slope.

There are lots of ways to crop and take out of context.

It was my understanding that the language in the user agreement referenced business transactions explicitly, but on further review it does broadly reference any transfer of goods. I also thought that F&F payments were all still charged 2.9% transaction fees on the senders end, but it appears that they are free if funds come from a linked bank acct. So that all does make me re-think my stance on using it being okay.

As stated in the first post I have changed my position on using this after reading the user agreement again.

Really 3% and people complain but yet they'll go to these liquidation auctions and pay 15-25% plus tax and maybe even add in a loading fee. Now that's ridiculous in my eyes. Sorry to drag off topic.

I have to confess,it was me. I work in a field that a phone call will get me on a plane flying half way around the world. I place that kind of trust in people I deal with. I had no reason to think i needed the buyer protection when dealing with John. I also knew shipping was going to be pricey on a Vise so I payed with Friends and Family. My paypal fee was 7.55 on 250.00. So I didn't "Get Over on Paypal" lol. I left my cell number and John called this morning. Very nice gentleman that I plan on doing more business with. Honestly I've always had good transactions on this forum.

Back