Buyers paying with PayPal please note ! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to add to this: be very careful using paypal if buying things on facebook groups.
    If you just click through the links to complete a purchase, chances are you will be paying friends/family and not even know it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    It's really 3% (+- 0.1%), IIRC.
    Compare it with credit card acceptance fees.

Close enough.... The exact paypal fee is actually 2.9% + $0.30 fixed fee

3. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like others, when buying something, I add the amount of the fee. When selling, I absorb that cost.

5. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    This. Seems to be a lot of people don't mind cheating PayPal. I'd rather not do business with such.
    its hardly cheating paypal. Its a decision on which of their products you want. FF doesn't come with the commercial protection you want as a seller and probably a buyer as well.

7. Likes jwearing liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    its hardly cheating paypal...
    Lots of ways to rationalize cheating.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone trying to sell something that asks for a F+F payment is lame city, and an uber cheap SOB to boot.

I would argue that if you are selling anything, it most certainly is cheating Paypal to ask for F+F payments.

Paypal offers a service, it should be paid for when using it. I get why they offer this option, but I don't think it was intended for transactions that include the sale of something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This. Seems to be a lot of people don't mind cheating PayPal. I'd rather not do business with such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    I would argue that if you are selling anything, it most certainly is cheating Paypal to ask for F+F payments.
    How is paypal getting cheated?
    They get the fee if it is a business transaction from the seller, they get the fee from a friends and family transaction from the sender of the money (buyer in our case)
    No matter what they get money.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    ...they get the fee from a friends and family transaction from the sender of the money (buyer in our case)...
    You are misinformed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As someone selling something on line it is almost guaranteed the item will be shipped to its new home, and not paid for by cash in person. The seller "should" just add the paypal fee to the price and move on. Cash discount for locals if need be.

Besides most things being sold are not "close margin" items so really it makes such a small difference is it even worth bringing it up?

For example: I find a good deal on a nice machine tool at an estate sale, I pay $20 since they don't really know what it is for. I brng it home and post it for sale here for $250. If I absolutely need to make $230 profit on it I would have posted it for $257. Better yet I include the $12 flat rate box price. My add should then read: Shipped in flat rate for $269.

As someone looking to buy items I do not want to track down sizes and weights of items the seller is to lazy to list. Better to just post the "out the door" price.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How is paypal getting cheated?
    They get the fee if it is a business transaction from the seller, they get the fee from a friends and family transaction from the sender of the money (buyer in our case)
    No matter what they get money.
    There is no fee for F+F. Paypal gives the entire amount to the recipient.

In the case of selling goods/services, there is a fee associated with the transaction.

To purchase an item and pay in F+F is cheating Paypal.

On a side note. I'm not some Paypal advocate, but these are the facts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the case of selling goods/services, there is a fee associated with the transaction.

It's not the full truth. Paypal does charge the sender under F&F unless he has a bank account linked to Paypal.

For example, I use credit card instead of having my bank account linked to Paypal, and I pay the 2.9% fee while sending money through F&F.

15. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are misinformed.
    As MichaelP just stated There is a fee associated with the FF transfers, using their account or linked account waives that fee.

Here is paypals own info:

If you are a U.S. PayPal account holder sending money to a friend or family member who uses PayPal in the U.S., you may pay a fee, depending on how you pay.
    Payment method: Fees:

Funded by your PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance or a bank account linked to PayPal. Fee is waived.

Funded by a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit. 2.9% of the amount funded this way, plus a fixed fee (from the table below) based on the currency of the transaction.

From here:
    Credit Card Fees, Send Money Fees & Other Charges - PayPal US

Please read and understand the ACTUAL paypal info before you guys put your other foot in your mouth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As MichaelP just stated There is a fee associated with the FF transfers, using their account or linked account waives that fee.

Here is paypals own info:

If you are a U.S. PayPal account holder sending money to a friend or family member who uses PayPal in the U.S., you may pay a fee, depending on how you pay.
    Payment method: Fees:

Funded by your PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance or a bank account linked to PayPal. Fee is waived.

Funded by a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit. 2.9% of the amount funded this way, plus a fixed fee (from the table below) based on the currency of the transaction.

From here:
    Credit Card Fees, Send Money Fees & Other Charges - PayPal US

Please read and understand the ACTUAL paypal info before you guys put your other foot in your mouth.
    Of course there is a fee if you are using some external source to fund the transaction, and/or the parties aren't Paypal account holders.

I was referring to using Paypal as the funding source, to another Paypal account holder. I kind of thought that went without saying.

Keep in mind you made a blanket statement that with F+F Paypal still gets their fees. "No matter what they get money." was your statement. Be mindful of your own foot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course there is a fee if you are using some external source to fund the transaction, and/or the parties aren't Paypal account holders.

I was referring to using Paypal as the funding source, to another Paypal account holder. I kind of thought that went without saying.

Keep in mind you made a blanket statement that with F+F Paypal still gets their fees. "No matter what they get money." was your statement. Be mindful of your own foot.
    Only in response to the blanket statement that I was wrong and there are NO fees.
    I do not have a linked account or a paypal balance so I have no option other than to pay the fee, they remind you who pays the fee depending on type of transaction, before it happens.

It seems the more important issue here is that buyer protection is none if you pay with FF, but on the other hand your info (address etc) is not disclosed. If you are buying something you HAVE to give a shipping address if you want the item, so that seems to not be relevant.
    So then the the only issue I see with using FF is you get no buyer protections if item is never shipped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only in response to the blanket statement that I was wrong and there are NO fees.
    I do not have a linked account or a paypal balance so I have no option other than to pay the fee, they remind you who pays the fee depending on type of transaction, before it happens.

It seems the more important issue here is that buyer protection is none if you pay with FF but on the other hand your info (address...) is not disclosed. If you are buying something you HAVE to give a shipping address if you want the item, so that seems to not be relevant.
    So then the the only issue I see with using FF is you get no buyer protections if item is never shipped.
    Why do you think a shipping address isn't automatically disclosed when using F+F? Or seller protection isn't available with F+F?

Could it be because F+F payments are not intended for use when selling items?

That goes back to my point. If you are using F+F as a way to receive payments for items you are selling, then you are cheating Paypal.

I really don't care enough to go any further with this. I've made the point I was trying to make, we may never see eye to eye.

Have a great holiday Rob, all the best to you and yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I completely agree with you that IF you are using one of the "fee waived" methods to buy an item paypal is loosing out on fees. As a buyer you are taking a risk and loosing out on any protections, so really why do it.

I think we are both in agreement it is best to not use FF to buy items, for two different reasons, both valid good ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i recently bought something out of state off of craigslist. The seller just sent me a paypal.me link that put it all on me how to pay (with any added fees on my side). I was completely fine with that - and the seller gets the asking price as if it was a face to face transaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a different service and you as the customer get to pick. Paypal offers the free FF service and reason for you being there so they get your funds on deposit. The free service does not include the protection and arbitration they provide with the paid service. I don't sell FF because the buyer can get the transaction reversed and paypal won't protect you. With the fee service, they will - a dispute goes into their arbitration thing where the ask for the bill of lading etc.

The notion that they are so naive so as to have left a gaping hole there business model exposing themselves to wholesale cheating is frankly silly....but I'm sure they are glad people like ezeduzit are looking out for their interests . FF is just a name, they could care less whether you know each other, its simply different services with different costs and benefits to both you and them. These businesses aren't run by naive bumkins who just fell off the turnip truck.

23. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    ...FF is just a name...
    Lots of ways to rationalize cheating.

Post Thanks / Like