What's new
What's new

Carbide Inserts

tiggi

Plastic
I have a collection of different carbide inserts that I would like to sell. They are all brand new. I am open to offers on the whole collection.
Here is what I have:

Valenite TPMA-54NG 050 3P Grade VC7 Carbide Grooving Insert 5pcs
Valenite TPMA-54NG 049 W1/4 Grade VC7 Carbide Grooving Insert 12pcs
HTC TF 1520135.016 B Grade VC7 Carbide Insert 23pcs
Valenite TNMA 54 NT 5P Grade VC7 Carbide Insert 13pcs
TGI TF-1520135-016B Grade C7 Carbide Inserts 10pcs
HTC TF-1524283-026A Grade VC-2 Carbide Inserts 9pcs
KENNAMETAL SNMG-544 CARBIDE INSERTS 20pcs
Precision Tool TC-1524281-015 Carbide Inserts 57pcs
Ingersoll Cutting Tools STK 51804 Carbide Inserts 20pcs
HTC TC-1524283-024A Grade C2 Carbide Inserts 20pcs
HTC TC-1524283-026A Grade C2 Carbide Inserts 25pcs
Carboloy Carbide Inserts 883 45pcs
Valenite Carbide Indexable Inserts 51 250501 Grade VC-2 10pcs

To top it all of I have a pile of different inserts that are not packaged.

Attachments

• IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 165
I'm sorry that you didn't get 1 reply about the inserts. I'm trying to learn how to identify inserts and match them to the appropriate lathe tool holder. I

have inserts that came with my lathe but not all of them are identified. The ones with numbers are not referenced to any tool holders. I have one

tool holder made by Kennametal that looks like it has a negative rake which I am told will not work on under powered lathes like my SB 13". I hope

you had good luck selling the inserts anyway.

Y'know that was like, nearly 6 years ago, right?

Even at that, with dates going back in to the 1970's on some of those packages, a fella could do worse, if he got them for like ten cents a piece or so delivered. You can always silver solder them on to a blank chunk of bar and use them up that way.

I think you'd be shocked how well a neg rake tool would cut on your lathe. Low revs, lots of torque, and a deep cut with a fairly fine feed.

You can get Pos rake inserts in a neg rake holder too.

Y'know that was like, nearly 6 years ago, right?

Even at that, with dates going back in to the 1970's on some of those packages, a fella could do worse, if he got them for like ten cents a piece or so delivered. You can always silver solder them on to a blank chunk of bar and use them up that way.

I think you'd be shocked how well a neg rake tool would cut on your lathe. Low revs, lots of torque, and a deep cut with a fairly fine feed.

You can get Pos rake inserts in a neg rake holder too.

I didn't mean to bring it up after 6 years, what you posted looked interesting to me and I was hoping to learn something. My 13" is a 2HP and a 3

step pulley setup. Working on the rear bearing right now, heating up but it will be running soon. I'm 69 years old and still learning and appreciate

waking up in the morning. Do you have any booklets or literature explaining carbide inserts and matching them to a tool holder or like you said,

silver solder to a piece of bar and use, since I was a welder for 40 years. Do you have any other selection of items for sale? Anything to help me

understand negative and positive rake?? The belt on my pulley setup is 2-1/8" wide so it does have torque. I don't want to bother you either, I'm not

a freeloader or ask for free stuff, happy to pay my way if I can afford it. I don't know what's too old to respond to but I have already gotten in check

one day for not looking at the date. Any way great speaking with you. One more question, I thought that carbide inserts needed a lot of RPMs??

No, I got nothing for ya, except that you learn to read the various suppliers' catalogs, so you have some idea,, at least in the faintest sense, how these inserts are supposed to work.

They generally list the min and max values for SFM, as well as depths of cut.

Someone actually PM'd me to see if I had bought these. LOL!

The best of all advice I can suggest, is to get as many catalogs as possible mailed to you, and to spend as much time as possible, learning to read what the various charts supplied by the vendors actually mean.

No, I got nothing for ya, except that you learn to read the various suppliers' catalogs, so you have some idea,, at least in the faintest sense, how these inserts are supposed to work.

They generally list the min and max values for SFM, as well as depths of cut.

Someone actually PM'd me to see if I had bought these. LOL!

The best of all advice I can suggest, is to get as many catalogs as possible mailed to you, and to spend as much time as possible, learning to read what the various charts supplied by the vendors actually mean.

Well that's the best advice I could get right there. I appreciate you telling me about the catalogs, Thanks

Welcome! Seriously!

The manufacturers are pretty forthright about what they have tailored a particular shape or coating for, and the faster you learn to read their catalogs, and the charts relating to the use they have designed the particular grade and coating for, the faster you get out of the 'confusion' bubble,

Truth is, there is not one standard for how the info is presented. Thus I suggest looking at a lot of suppliers to see how each does their particular flavor of a speeds and feeds chart for what they expect you to use it for.

There are an awful pile of geometries and coatings that are pretty generic. There are some that are pretty specific as to what they were expected to be 'best' at. Which in no way precludes their use for other things, it's just that the maker thinks they will work 'best' for those circumstances.

I 'grew up' in an environment where people thought a cut less than .025 deep was a crime. Some of those folks had not looked in a tool catalog for 25 or more years...

Welcome! Seriously!

The manufacturers are pretty forthright about what they have tailored a particular shape or coating for, and the faster you learn to read their catalogs, and the charts relating to the use they have designed the particular grade and coating for, the faster you get out of the 'confusion' bubble,

Truth is, there is not one standard for how the info is presented. Thus I suggest looking at a lot of suppliers to see how each does their particular flavor of a speeds and feeds chart for what they expect you to use it for.

There are an awful pile of geometries and coatings that are pretty generic. There are some that are pretty specific as to what they were expected to be 'best' at. Which in no way precludes their use for other things, it's just that the maker thinks they will work 'best' for those circumstances.

I 'grew up' in an environment where people thought a cut less than .025 deep was a crime. Some of those folks had not looked in a tool catalog for 25 or more years...

I really appreciate being welcomed, I come from an entirely different background. Early in life I was able to do some simple machining operations

while I was working on pulp digesters. I machined the Gas-Off pipe nozzles, machined the caps by skimming the surface flat and re-cutting the

gasket groove. No way now to remember any of it in detail. I was an excellent welder and fabricator and I have missed it all since 2011. This

Forum has been an eye opener with a ton of support and explanations. More than likely I would take it all in with better understanding but age

and health issues come into play. I'll never climb the ladder to be a machinist but I will climb the ladder to be better than a beginner knowing how

to work safe and accomplish the little projects I would like to do. I would love to have a milling machine to combine machining actions between

my lathe and a mill if I had one. I might not be the thinker you guys are because you all have worked with a lot more math and education to be

what you are. Welding has moved in this direction as well and more young men and women are becoming educated in a new technical field. I

have downloaded 5 carbide insert catalogs to start educating myself on carbide inserts. I have a pretty good selection of HSS and Brazed

Carbide that I also used before dealing with my heating issue of the rear lathe bearing. I have enjoyed reading the articles posted, there is much

to learn and I am all for it. Sorry to get off the beaten path, just talking a little.

Back