What's new
What's new

Cincinnati vertical #5

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
2013-03-17_13-56-17_422mill.jpg Cincinnati vertical mill #5 Came from a Pratt & Whitney lab facility. table size is 94 1/2 x 20. Weight is 18,000 lbs. I bought a machine from a machinery dealer and when I he stopped by my shop he asked about the Cincinnati, if it was for sale. He said to throw a number at him, I said 5K and he said he could get 12K quickly, he took pictures and listed it for either 14K or 16K, which I suspected he was dreaming. I saw the machine on his website for awhile then lost his contact info. The dealer told me he has never seen one in as good shape as this one, hardly a mark on the table. The screw in the knee has been extended for more travel by maybe 8". The entire machine is sitting on "I" beams due to the knee screw being lower than the bottom of the machine's base. I have several pieces of tooling that could go, mostly face mills up to 15". Spindle taper is NMTB 50. It has power feed and rapids in all directions. Power elevation on the knee and on the head. Speed changes done electronically. 25 hp 220/440 v. I'll have to verify the voltage to see if it is both for certain. There is a beat up one on Ebay now that is similar for 20K, but I really don't know why dealers try to get such incredible prices. If anyone is old enough to appreciate machines like this, let's talk.

"There is a beat up one on Ebay now that is similar for 20K, but I really don't know why dealers try to get such incredible prices"
Because they are used machinery dealers. That "profession" is the only job more cliche than say a slimy used car dealer from the last 30 years. The main difference is that the slimy used car dealers have grown with the times are are now just used car dealers, whereas the used machinery dealers have just gotten worse over time apparently.

They all follow the same basic formula:
Pressure wash...garbage paint job...check Ebay...list at extraordinary price...and wait

If he could have gotten 12K quickly he would have bought it from you and flipped it without it ever leaving your shop.

These days that's about a $2500.00 machine.

I wasn't clear on my price of this machine, the dealer asked for a number and I snapped off 5K. SIP6A, a poster above, said it is a $2,500 machine. Maybe. I've never seen one even close to that price on Ebay especially one that may be in the best shape people have ever seen, for what that is worth. I might post it on Ebay for 5-6 K and see what happens, I wanted to give people here first shot. If there is no interest on ebay I'll repost here with whatever price it takes to sell it. I also have a real nice pratt & whitney 24" rotary table that could go with it.

The thing is, it doesnt matter at all what people list things for on ebay. It matters what they sell for. If you are seeing it listed that means it has not sold. Machinery isnt a walmart item. There are not container loads of used american machines coming from china to replace what sells so that you always see it for sale. That does not make it worth more though. In fact manual machines in terms of what they actually sell for on the open market has gotten pretty low.

The thing is, it doesnt matter at all what people list things for on ebay. It matters what they sell for. If you are seeing it listed that means it has not sold. Machinery isnt a walmart item. There are not container loads of used american machines coming from china to replace what sells so that you always see it for sale. That does not make it worth more though. In fact manual machines in terms of what they actually sell for on the open market has gotten pretty low.

A few days ago I went to ebay, did a "completed items" search for an Advance rotary table and saw one that recently sold for $599 and another for $400. I then posted an ad here for $200 and sold it immediately. I'm not looking to give the Cincinnati away, but I also am not trying for a high market price. I won't be using it because I have a DeVlieg that seems to do everything the vertical will do and the Cinn. is just taking up space.

A few days ago I went to ebay, did a "completed items" search for an Advance rotary table and saw one that recently sold for $599 and another for $400. I then posted an ad here for $200 and sold it immediately. I'm not looking to give the Cincinnati away, but I also am not trying for a high market price. I won't be using it because I have a DeVlieg that seems to do everything the vertical will do and the Cinn. is just taking up space.

The difference is there are a lot of people that could use a cross slide rotary table, and rigging and shipping isn't a killer. If you gave me the mill where it sits on your floor, I would probably have $6,000 to $8,000 spent before it makes a chip on my floor. I, too, have a big old mill in my way who's usefulness has been superseded by a DeVlieg.

It is close to $1,000 in cast iron, but there is something mentally that I can't do, scrap out a totally useful piece of machinery that is tight and problem free, maybe the best of it's kind. It would be like abandoning a friend of sorts. All the workmanship that went into it being smashed in a crusher doesn't seem right to me. I'll probably "run out the clock" with it in a dark corner and let the wife, who knows nothing about it, put masking tape with a price on it someday in a yard sale. She's nine years younger than me and women seem to out live us guys anyways. They eat salads and all that healthy stuff to outlive us and get all our stuff!

Back