What's new
What's new

Colchester lathe parts available

Sachmanram

Stainless
Hello all,

I know that the title is somewhat obscure, but bear with me... A good friend of mine recently aquired a complete headstock including Gamet bearings, spindle,gears, change gear forks and levers, saddle with apron and cross-slide as well as most of a "hydraulic profiling unit" consisting of the tool-holder, topslide unit with ram and fittings as well as the rear beam.

He currently owns a Colchester Master as I do and claims that the lathe that these parts came from is identical to the "Master" other than one gear that is different in the headstock.

Recently I gave him an extra copy of a Colchester manual which enabled him to catalogue the parts that he has at his disposal.

"Tony" is looking to sell parts at a very reasonable price to other Colchester owners. Tony is a good friend of mine who is constantly "giving" me things from his shop.... whereupon, I am happy to reciprocate..... but, the bugger has wayyyyy more gear than I.... so I try....;)

I am posting this thread on behalf of Tony because I informed him that if he dared to sign up at PM and on the first post.... posted "items for sale" , that he would be burned at the stake, shot, and pissed on at dawn... :eek:

Let me know if there is any interest.... :)

Cheers....

Brian

I should point out that the lathe that these parts came from would have a 12' swing and likely is from the mid to late 60's.

Here's a pic of my Colchester Master for comparison.

IMGP0041800x600.jpg

Cheers....

Brian

Hi JB,

Yes he did... he dismantled it and has everything oiled and in baggies marked with part numbers. I can PM you with his email address and you can communicate directly with him.

Brian

Hello all,

I'm trying to get further information from Tony as to what is the date of manufacture, etc. By comparing the "Dominion" parts that he has to his Colchester "Master" parts and cross-referencing the parts list in a "Student" and a "Master" parts list, it appears that every single part that he has (except for one gear in the headstock) is interchangeable between all three lathe types.

I will try to get some photos of the parts from Tony over ther weekend...

Here's a list of what he has for parts...

-One complete headstock.... (if you need individual parts, I believe that Tony will tear it down)
-Swing frame and gears
-Large end guard (belt and change gear guard)
-Threading gearbox (dismantled and bagged individually)
-Apron (dismantled)
-Carriage (dismantled)
-Cross and top-slide (dismantled including all gibs, nuts and screws)
-Hydraulic Profiling attachment (including, toolpost, geared adjust cross-slide, ram and cylinder, and rear beam)

Hopefully this will be a little clearer than my first post. Again, this is from a 12" swing lathe.

Cheers....:)

Brian

OK, here's what I have so far.... the lathe was manufactured in 1965 and is a Dominion Imperial type.

Here's some pics that Tony sent to me....

100_1481_zpsc3e76084.jpg

100_1471_zpsa9a9fb52.jpg

100_1479_zps41125557.jpg

100_1476_zps0b38fedd.jpg

100_1474_zps3e6e6957.jpg

100_1484_zps518f72f4.jpg

100_1485_zps6ad4bcd7.jpg

That's all for now...

Brian

Hello Tom,

No, I really have no idea if it would fit or not. This attachment simply bolts to the rear of the lathe cross-slide into factory threaded holes, so I assume that this unit could be adapted to another lathe as long as the swing was similar.

Here's a few pics of the profiling attachment...

100_1467_zps97e1eb29.jpg

100_1499_zpsf5380a88.jpg

100_1498_zpsa02a3767.jpg

and here's one of the inside of the headstock...

100_1489_zps0c2ee0dd.jpg

Brian

I purchased some parts from Tony and he is truly a great person to deal with. Tony actually traveled to Maine to mail the parts from the US to save me shipping!

I realize this thread has been around for a whils. I just purchased a Clausing Colchester that looks like this one. To by chagrin both the high speed and the low speed gears are bad. I would be afraid if I actually tried to use them they would fail and take any good parts out. I am interested in the head if it still available.
Please contact me with any information. Thanks Dan

I realize this thread has been around for a whils. I just purchased a Clausing Colchester that looks like this one. To by chagrin both the high speed and the low speed gears are bad. I would be afraid if I actually tried to use them they would fail and take any good parts out. I am interested in the head if it still available.
Please contact me with any information. Thanks Dan

Well !! His profile shows he was last on the forum a year ago!! I'd say not much chance. His profile shows you can send him a email,might try that.

Back