What's new
What's new

Does Anyone Buy Tooling on Ebay Anymore?

BigDel

Aluminum
I just put $15,000 worth of New tools on Ebay at seriously reduced prices. No action at all? Does anyone go to Ebay anymore to buy tools or are there better sites for me to move this stuff??? It is not junk, New Stellram solid carbide milling extensions and high feed heads at 50% discount. High Feed Milling cutters, premium solid carbide endmills, not like the junk I mostly see on there. I have some Chevron long edge cutters as well. Stellram Solid Carbide Endmills that are still kind of expensive vs. a 1/2" generic, but dang they are nice, I have sold Kennametal as well and the Stellrams kicked the heck out of the Harvi III.

If any of you want to visit my store it is Superior Workholding. PM me here or on Ebay and tell me you saw my post here and want to buy something and we can work a deal. You can check out my posts here. I have not been real active lately, but I have lots of tools to sell.

BigDel

Yes, No, Maybe.

Expect this thread to be locked/moved, as it's obviously a backdoor attempt to use the General forum to sell your items.

No, I don't sell on eBay any longer, as their policies are completely biased against the seller in any dispute.

Maybe, if you are using BIN, the pricing isn't as good as you think?

jack vines

Yeah, kind of a back door attempt. Is there a forum on here where I can sell stuff? I see people on here doing it all the time.

Ebay is the ultimate garage sale. I therefore tend to use it to find used parts, tool holders, accessories, original documents, hard to find components, etc. but not for consumables. I'd rather buy those from a vendor we have history with that has a better chance of keeping stuff on the shelf.

Rarely. Risk of getting crap, very high prices on average, and general waste of time equals not interested. Answer becames sometimes during a recession when prices drop substantially.

L7

I use ebay from time to time for test equipment parts. There it makes sense. You build a product, build the test and production fixtures for it, the product goes obsolete and you sell the fixtures to a breaker who puts it on ebay.

Consumables and end mills? If you're lucky they're stolen and if you're unlucky they're counterfeit. Too much risk for standard stuff.

Most professionals aren't going to risk damaging a $1000 part by saving $12 on an end mill. False economy.

A lot of the market for that stuff is hobby guys like me, and we are notoriously cheap.

I do buy and sell tooling and tools on ebay, but I have stuff to check the calibration on measuring tools, and occasionally tooling that I would otherwise not be able to afford.

Steve

I'm able to sell quite a bit on eBay, but at the low prices that they are getting there. I always do a search and try and price for less than actual past sales

Your #1 problem is you are a new seller with no feedback, your more valuable items will not move until you get past that. I would suggest you get a bunch of stuff that you do not care about, list it cheap, probably loose money if you count your time, and get some feedback so buyers know you are a legit seller that will deliver.

Once you have some feedback, you are probably better off using the BIN feature vs auction format, obscure stuff takes longer to sell, some may take years till the right person that needs that exact item finds it. If you need to do a quick inventory reduction, find an ebay seller and sell it all as a bulk lot, if you want to be an ebay power seller, you need to list more stuff and plan on being in it for the long haul.

I’m type that hates waiting, so if it’s an item I can buy easily , I can’t be bothered waiting for an auction to end, so if it doesn’t have a buy it now price I’m not playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, No, Maybe.

Expect this thread to be locked/moved, as it's obviously a backdoor attempt to use the General forum to sell your items.

No, I don't sell on eBay any longer, as their policies are completely biased against the seller in any dispute.

Maybe, if you are using BIN, the pricing isn't as good as you think?

jack vines

Their fees are excessive, too. If you use PayPal (formerly part of eBay), you pay 3% on the total sale including shipping money. Then you pay another 10% on the total, including the shipping money that you spent on shipping even after PayPal took their cut. So you are paying 10% on money that you never received (PayPal's cut and shipping costs) When you are finished, you don't net very much.

I used to sell a lot on eBay, but I don't sell there anymore. I just buy there now and then. It's not worth all of the hassle to sell there.

If you really want to find what the market will pay, and don't want to wait for ever, the .99 cent auctions are the way to go.

That works on some stuff, but not all. I'm working on closing the Tx place, listed a bunch of stuff at .99 cents last year, what did sell did not bring enough to be worth my time. This year I've just been throwing the cheap stuff in the Phuket buckets, it was tough to do at first, but the more I pitched the easier it got, getting ready to empty them for the 3rd time this year:)

If you want to sell new tooling and make a buck you need the buy it now and free expedited shipping. That's what I do and I do alright. But I also sell only new unused common stuff. CNMG43* WNMG 43* & VNMG33* and some other common end mills.

Also Stellram isn't a super popular brand. Only certain brands actually get money for them. Even then there's China knockoffs for 1/3 the USA origin sale price. That said I believe that's the only reason I do sell stuff because I put detailed descriptions in not broken English and nice photos.

I know that E-bay wants to be a major league marketplace, but I think of it in terms of bargains, not full price or even 50% off. Real DEEP discounts.

For a business, I would want a 100% reliable source where I can talk to someone if I have any problems. And a reasonable return policy, not just E-bay's. I would want to KNOW that I am getting exactly the item that is described and that it is in exactly the condition described. And WHERE it is stocked and being shipped from, at least in general terms, like country and state/region.

I am a small business, emphasis on small. I can afford to take chances, but it still must be with deep discounts and a real way to get satisfaction if there is a problem. It is hard to know if an E-bay seller or store provides that kind of service. E-bay only offers a 30 day or less return option. Do you offer a longer one?

Do I want too much? Sure I do. I have compromised on occasion. But why should I pay 50% to take a chance? And you are probably talking about 50% off list price. But what is the "street" price on those items? Discount that by 50% and somewhat more if you want the stuff to move.

Also, E-bay does seem to have a good search function. I said good, not great. But have you provided full descriptions of the items? The search will not work well with just a manufacturer's name and a two or three word description.

A final thought: what do you charge for shipping and handling? That can contribute a lot to the cost of an item. Have you looked into the various shipping options or do you just go with FedEx or UPS with their high prices. If you have any volume, you should be able to get a deal on shipping costs and PASS THAT ON to your buyers.

Oh, I also sell some items on E-bay. They also do not move quickly. I can stand the wait, but many can't.

But, for those who complain about E-bay's prices, I checked out some others, like Amazon. E-bay is easily the least expensive, at least for me and my items.

Looks like you're new to ebay with no feedback so that might be 1 reason

Yeah, that is why I was hoping to prime the pump here. The forum does not show my history anymore but I used to post on a lot of Chuck posts back when I was working for Toolmex and after. The quotes are still there, the log does not show it here. Seriously, if you see something you want I will cut some deals. I need to pop my cherry so to speak.

I have some items listed there. Going to add a bunch more tonight. I realize I have to prove myself. I also might have to sell some of the junk around the house, just to get the track record.

Back