What's new
What's new

F.S. - NOS Carborundum 10x3x1/2 Diamond Surface Grinder Wheel

gusmadison

Cast Iron
I'm old and will never use this on my Thompson, so it's time to pass it on.
Price is $200. Email me if interested and we can work out the details: gusmadison at gmail
It's a steel wheel and the info on it that these old eyes can read is:
Diamond Products by Carborundum
No. ML 2059
D120 N100
10" diameter, 3" hole, 1/2" wide - never been mounted.
I will now attempt to attach a photo...

Attachments

• diamond wheel.jpg
    diamond wheel.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 117
  • diamond2.jpg
    diamond2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 96
  • diamond3.jpg
    diamond3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 96
Carborundum..every bit as good as Norton and the other top wheel brands
I think Carborndum is a part of Saint Gobain now a days.
My best/favorite AO wheel is a Carborundum 46-...

I like to cut a wheel size hole in cardboard and have the wheel in a stack of cardbords in the cut hole.
10" wheel likely have a 12" box having 12 x 12 cardboards with a 10" hole.
Shipped wheel to a number of countries that way with never a problem. And I mark the box "Abrasive Grinding Wheel" never had a post office open a box.

So - can anyone comment on GRIT ? is it 120 or 100?

Never mind - ancient Norton brochure says 120 grit

N hardness and 100 concentration

The D meant diamond and was natural diamonds graded for size.

ASD was a coated diamond and would hold the diamonds tighter for longer life but often would run hotter.

MD was manufactured diamonds. A friend at carboloy said they signed a secret pact with De Beers about the man made diamonds.

The old true diamond wheel would whisper across carbide..un like MD that seemed to have rumble when grinding. They, D wheels seemed to give a better finish and run cooler IMHO.

Bond | NORITAKE CO.,LIMITED

Grinding Wheel Basic Information Designation and Marking|Customer Support|KURE GRINDING WHEEL offers a wide range of grinding wheels and related products and materials

Last edited:
Sure look like a plated wheel to me which would explain the steel core.
In that case D will not mean natural diamond and there is no hardness, just a concentration which was almost always specked as 100.
Even in a resin bond the D for natural went away a very long time ago. More means not coated diamond but even that seems to have gone out the window.

It possibly could be a metal bond from the pics which also was put on steel cores but there would normally be a bond callout.
If plated, do not try to dress or true this wheel. Indicate it as close to zero as possible and run it.
If a metal bond, fun to dress.

Any which way 200 a good price for this size. I'd expect to pay three to four times this for new from a decent and trusted source.
Bob

Bob, speaking of dressing a metal bond wheel... I've got a pretty old one on a grinder used for touching up carbide tooling. It is a little out of true, has a slight bounce. How are these trued? I was thinking of trying a counter-rotating silicon carbide mounted wheel to try and true it. Is there a better way? Even shimmed it's got the bounce, so it needs it.

Bob, speaking of dressing a metal bond wheel... .
First be sure is a metal bond wheel wheel and not plated wheel. One has actual diamond depth the other does not.
Plated wheels will always wrap the plating around the side making them look as if there diamond depth.
For a true metal bond wheel you are on the right track.
Bob

Yes it's definitely metal bond, not electroplated. It's a face grinding wheel. Thick layer, around ⅛" or a little more. Looks like maybe copper was used in the bond to my eye.

\might call the company and see of they have information.
We look forward to servicing your abrasives needs. Please complete the contact form below and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. North American Customer Service can be reached at Telephone: 254-918-2313 or Fax: 254-918-2314 from 8:00am - 4:30pm Eastern Standard Time.

Back