What's new
What's new

Flux Core wire and EDM graphite

leeko

Stainless
I have some surplus spools of flux core wire and some EDM graphite blocks/electrodes I'd like to sell. Prefer local pickup in Chicago, but willing to ship if needed. Pictures are located here:

Flux Core spools - Google Photos

- Lincoln NR-203MP innershield 5/64” (2.0mm) 14lb spool - $40 (2x available)

- Lincoln outershield 71M 0.045" partial spool, mild tarnish on upper side of spool - $20

- Lincoln NR-202 5/64” (2.0mm) 14lb spool, some rust - $40 (2x available)

- 5356 Aluminium 3/64" partial spool $35

- unmarked/mystery steel wire (blue partial spool) - $20

And the graphite... Unknown grade, but appears to be quite fine and the machined features show good detail. Came out of an EDM shop, so I'd guess it's a pretty good grade but can't verify.

I have a few pieces, mostly around 8" x 8" x 1" or so. A couple bigger/thicker pieces also. There are some machined features in most of them, mostly just holes but there is also plenty of unmolested graphite

Not sure what the going rate for this would be, so I'll start at around half of what I found on eBay sold listings:

$20 for an 8x8x1 (5lb) chunk?

Let me know if the price is way off, or there's just no demand for this stuff. If there's no interest at that price, I'll likely bring it down every couple of days or so

Or feel free to make an offer for the whole lot - minus a couple of pieces for my electrolysis tank :)

Thanks

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Here is an inventory list of the graphite pieces with prices. I've also uploaded additional pictures to the Google photos Link.

8x8x1 square - 16x @ $20 each (4 earmarked so far)

9x8x1 - 1x @ $20

10x5x3/4 roughly triangular - 4x @ $15 each

10x4x1 irregular/triangle shape - 2x @ $15 each

7x7x3/4 square - 2x @ $15 each

Bigger pieces:

12x18x3/4, unmachined - 1x @ $50

10x10x3 couple of cutouts, otherwise pristine - 1x @ $100

If anyone wants the whole lot ( minus the 4 pieces already claimed), I'd sell for $350 (>$500 individually)

Thanks,

Lee

The aluminum and any solid wires without rust should be fine. IMHO the flux core wires are probably trash. I think a fair price would be close to free, anyone wants it pays shipping. Sorry for the bad news.
Flux core on metal spools CAN be reconditioned and if exposure and age are not to much, it will be fine.

2nd to last page of this lincoln weld wire catalog talks about reconditioning and proper storage.
https://www.colliermiller.com.au/documents/PB/033506_8.pdf

I have and use plenty of flux core wire, always stored back in its bag in its box. sometimes I dont use up the partials fast enough and even after cooking them they weld like crap = scrap bin.

The aluminum and any solid wires without rust should be fine. IMHO the flux core wires are probably trash.

Fair enough - that's probably where they'll go if they don't sell, just figured I'd see if anyone can use them. It makes no sense to take the time to pack them up and ship them for free though

Edit: thanks for the link to reconditioning and storage

Lee

Sounds good. The total will be $35 + $13 shipping = $48

PM me your address again, and I'll get them packed up for shipping out.

Thanks

Lee

As an aside: I'm curious what folks will be using this for? EDM? electrolysis? Making pencils?

I'm keeping a couple of pieces for electrolysis, but interested to hear what otherbuaes it may have...

Lee

What's left:

8x8x7/8 squarish - 14x @ $20 each

10x5x3/4 roughly triangular - 3x @ $15 each

10x4x1 irregular/triangle shape - 1x @ $15 each

7x7x3/4 square - 1x @ $15 each

Bigger pieces:

12x18x3/4, unmachined - 1x @ $45

10x10x3 couple of cutouts, otherwise pristine - 1x @ $90

Up to 4 pieces will fit in a large flat rate box ($20), except the two big pieces.

Lee

I received my graphite today. I use it for weld backing, will try some for electrolysis.

Fair enough - that's probably where they'll go if they don't sell, just figured I'd see if anyone can use them. It makes no sense to take the time to pack them up and ship them for free though

Edit: thanks for the link to reconditioning and storage

Lee

If they are only a year or two old try to recon them. If 10 or soyears old and stored out of their bag probably not worth the time to prove they are bad by reconditioning.

Hehe

Glad to hear it arrived ok! I tend to use what I have lying around for packing - usually Amazon boxes, but carpet works too :)

Lee

Back