What's new
What's new

FREE---420 Stainless Steel shaft cutoffs

tommy1010

Stainless
The man in the scrap yard said that this stuff is not worth more than regular steel. It is 420 Stainless Steel as verified by his X-ray refractor. These are ends that I had cut off of 8' long pump shafts. The shiny area you see is hard chrome for where a bearing similiar to a cutlass bearing would run. The shafts are 4" in diameter. Some pieces have the end where the coupling keyways are. These shaft cut fine in a large horizontal band saw. Obviously not where the chrome is. I used a few of these pieces cut from the center of the shafts and machined them on my 1915 Seneca falls 12 lathe. I even managed to break a chip with carbide. I quickly learned that when drilling this stuff don't peck as it will harden quickly. As long as you were feeding the bit it drilled fine with HSS. A lot of you guys on here probably eat this stuff everyday before breakfast. So before this stuff goes to the scrapper come and get it. Northeast Pa 18225. If you pay the freight I will put it on a pallet if you want and get it to a shipping firm close by me. I have no way anymore to cut pieces off.

100_1085.jpg100_1086.jpg100_1087.jpg

My family is local, if I sent someone over to get it could you put it on a pallet and load it for them for lunch, a few Jimmy dogs and a Third Base Hoagie, or perhaps a dozen or two wings from The Other Side?

Well SShep. That sounds all well and good but Milland from New Hampshire claimed it. He is arranging shipment for it. It is tempting for the Other Side Wings. I would never have guessed there would have been such interest in this stuff. Now that I am retired I don't mind putting it for grabs since I have the time. My wife is jumping for joy as this stuff leaves here. I just made 44 birdhouses from reclaimed cedar boards and gave them all away. I just wish the rain would stop and I could get something done outside. Well at least I can move a little more freely around the garage. I will have some more surplus drill bits and taps for sale so stay tuned. A lot of South Bend 9" lathe stuff also with some going to flea bay. Here are some of the birdhouses I made.

IMG_birdhouse.jpg

That bar stock is a score!

Actually, it's a 4 and a score (20):

"According to the Oxford English Dictionary, it's "presumably from the practice, in counting sheep or large herds of cattle, of counting orally from 1 to 20, and making a score or notch on a stick, before proceeding to count the next 20."

So yes, the 420 stainless is both a "four score", and a kind offer from Tom, which we're working to finish off when he gets some numbers for size of the pallet and delivery to the depot.

Many thanks to Tom for the original offer!

Actually, it's a 4 and a score (20):

"According to the Oxford English Dictionary, it's "presumably from the practice, in counting sheep or large herds of cattle, of counting orally from 1 to 20, and making a score or notch on a stick, before proceeding to count the next 20."

So yes, the 420 stainless is both a "four score", and a kind offer from Tom, which we're working to finish off when he gets some numbers for size of the pallet and delivery to the depot.

Many thanks to Tom for the original offer!

dam don't tell them it 420 as some dam fool will try to light it up . sorry i just had to say that . by the way nice bird houses .

Just to close this thread out - Tom has shipped out the bars by dropping them off at a local YRC depot, I should have them tomorrow or Friday.

I sent Tom a "thank you" payment via Paypal for his time and effort to pallet up the materials and get them to the depot. Thanks again, Tom!

Tom,

If you happen to have quality threading dies (both, metric and SAE) for sale, please let me know. Stub-length drill bits are of interest too.

Thanks.

Mike

Back