What's new
What's new

OT- Stupid question regarding selling a car on eBay

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I have a small eBay "store" with some machine tools listed with no time limits. Now I want to list a 2009 Mazda Miata..... do I just list it on my machine tool store same as a machine or do I have to go to "eBay motors" to list it, or ??

4 wheel asphalt grinder?
Not sure if the listing process will let you, it tries to push you into what they consider the "right" category
Fees may be different, been a while since I sold a vehicle on Ebay

starting with Miata in the listing process takes you directly to auto section

I have a small eBay "store" with some machine tools listed with no time limits. Now I want to list a 2009 Mazda Miata..... do I just list it on my machine tool store same as a machine or do I have to go to "eBay motors" to list it, or ??

I originally 'entered' ebay through the 'motors' section. As far as eBay goes, that is the right place.

HOWEVER.. there have been sooo many scams or at least attempted scams on autos run through ebay (and Craigslist) - Range Rovers or any other even marginally exotic vehicle - that I'd consider either of them akin to poisoning your own efforts, if only for the noxious flood of virtual tire-kicking they generate with low/no probability of a low-pain sale.

If low/no local market? A private-seller listing on the likes of Autotrader or Car Guru's might better serve.

FWIW-not-much, Atlanta, GA would be my target market if I had to move a used vehicle of any significant value.

Large local market. Also respected by out-of-staters for higher percentage of low/no salt-damage to vehicles than is otherwise average for East Coast, USA - road salt to the North, salt-air for Florida.

2CW

Not sure how it works if you go through your store. On my sellers page ebay is in the midst of of a promotion offering no insertion fee auctions on up to six vehicles through next January.

I would never bother posting a car on ebay... craigslist all day every day for cars. Its one thing if you are selling a rare or oddball car, but not many people are driving from far away for a 2009 Miata. On top of that most people looking for a specific car will search clist nation wide, me and my friends do.

I would think that your Ebay store is the correct way to list your car. Since you choose the category, it will flip you to the car site. Check the listing commission, and posting costs quite high in my estimation.
When I listed motorcycles, I got interest from california, really a $4000 bike shipped to CA, not likely. I limited bidders to 1000 miles after that. Cut back the dreamers and jerks. Still would get a few thousand visits per item.

I would never bother posting a car on ebay... craigslist all day every day for cars. Its one thing if you are selling a rare or oddball car, but not many people are driving from far away for a 2009 Miata. On top of that most people looking for a specific car will search clist nation wide, me and my friends do.
I actually agree with that, as I have sold most forklifts and cars in the past via Craigslist.

But believe it or not, this is an oddball car..... the color is "Competition Yellow" and last I heard they only sold 200 of that color in all of USA and Canada.

Ironically I never much cared for the color but it was the last local new 2009 Miata available after the Great Recession caused Mazda to offer a $5,000 factory rebate, plus wholesale price, so I couldn't resist the deal.

But have heard the younger guys sometime fight over getting this color in the USED market, therefore eBay might get two or three bidding it up higher than normal trade in price...probably not, but maybe...

I'm only familiar with the first generation Miata market and the speed Miata... I guess it really can't hurt to toss it up on the bay, I just try and avoid it at all costs.

I'm only familiar with the first generation Miata market and the speed Miata... I guess it really can't hurt to toss it up on the bay, I just try and avoid it at all costs.
The NC or third generation Miata (what this is) is a whole 'nuther world from the NA or 1st generation.... I know as I owned two of the NA models before this NC. Was waiting on the new ND version to come out before buying one of those but to my surprise don't like it.

So bought a 2011 Mercedes SLK300 two seater vario roof (electric folding into the trunk hardtop convertible) with 36K miles. Love it...at least until something serious breaks on it, I which point I may hate it...but worth the chance I think.

Nobody will EVER buy that car from you.

Just leave it outside the shop with the keys in the glove box and I'll take care of it for you.

:-)

Steve

Likely someone on Miata.net would be interested........ Some really love the NC cars, and a rarer color is always interesting there. Miles and condition, mod's?

Back