What's new
What's new

FS 10 in adjust-tru buck chuck $850

10k rekreator

Plastic
I have recently acquired a large lot of different machinery type of stuff along with the south bend 10k I bought and am restoring.

Amungst the big pile of stuff and a very oily and dusty 10k, was this buck chuck. It had a slight amount of surface rust on it and I did a brief restoration.

Here I will copy and paste the details I have on my Craigslist posting:

This 3 jaw self centering lathe buck chuck is a refurbished chuck that comes with what I believe is called their adjust-tru feature on the backplate that lets it be dialed in to within .0005" tolerances.

The refurbishing was personally done by me and included a complete breakdown, cleaning and de rusting, (was only slightly surface rusted) all tools used in disassembly were copper as to not damage the steel. Rust removal was accomplished by the use of evaporust and no abrasives of any kind were used in any processes involved from start to finish to preserve as much of the original dimensions as possible. I don't have a lathe that will fit this chuck and I received it with a lot of other machinery stuff included in a large purchase which is why I'm selling it. Retail prices of new ones run $1,575 not including a backplate which go for $600+ so this is a very good deal.

It looks dark in color only due to the effects of evaporust on this type of steel alloy and can be easily removed with a wire brush or scotch pad, but as I'm not the one who will end up using it I left that option upto the buyer to decide if they want to do that or not as performance > looks in this industry.

I am asking $850 for the chuck including backplate (not sure the style of backplate as I'm sorta a novice in the machinery hobby but if someone wants to tell me I'll edit this later)

I am willing to ship if buyer is willing to pay first, but as I don't expect that as I wouldn't be willing to do it if I were in the other shoes. I am also willing to meet in person, I am in FortWorth Texas and am willing to drive upto 250 miles to meet, if further all I ask is an additional bit of gas money.

This is my first post and I read the rules about contributing, but being sort of new into this hobby I'm not sure I will be too much help tho I have been helped from the tons of posts I've read over the last few months.

I will put a link to a site that shows more information on the chuck if that is okay with admins, if not than please tell me and I'll remove it.
ShopBuckChuck.Com - B8103

IMG_2554.jpgIMG_2480.jpgIMG_2477.jpg

Last edited:
Refurbished my Ass ! That is only a general clean up. If it had paint we would call it a DuPont rebuild ! And yes over priced and no mention of what the back plate mount type/style it is. Check eBay COMPLEATED sales to get a idea of value.

Refurbished my Ass ! That is only a general clean up. If it had paint we would call it a DuPont rebuild ! And yes over priced and no mention of what the back plate mount type/style it is. Check eBay COMPLEATED sales to get a idea of value.

BUCK LATHE CHUCK 10" 2103R 3-JAW CHUCK D1-8 Mount | eBay

BUCK 10" THREE-JAW "ADJUST-TRU" LATHE CHUCK w/ PLAIN BACK MOUNT - #5103 | eBay

BUCK 10" 3 Jaw Power Chuck A-6 Adjust Tru Spindle Mount Model 110 | eBay

Not to mention that same brand 6 inches are going for 500+
If you feel as so inclined to tell me my prices are off, please provide proof and not just say "go look it up".

Also I said refurbished, not rebuilt or remanufactured. Here's a link incase you don't know the difference..
refurbished vs rebuilt - Google Search

(Did you notice how I provided supporting evidence? Should take note.)

Also as I said in the ad, as a novice I do not know how to identify the back plate but included a picture in case anyone felt generous enough to assist in identifying it.

Please feel free to provide any links of this chuck for sell, or sold anywhere for anything less than what I've posted and I will gladly consider changing my prices. Otherwise please feel free to move on. Thanks.

BUCK LATHE CHUCK 10" 2103R 3-JAW CHUCK D1-8 Mount | eBay

BUCK 10" THREE-JAW "ADJUST-TRU" LATHE CHUCK w/ PLAIN BACK MOUNT - #5103 | eBay

BUCK 10" 3 Jaw Power Chuck A-6 Adjust Tru Spindle Mount Model 110 | eBay

Not to mention that same brand 6 inches are going for 500+
If you feel as so inclined to tell me my prices are off, please provide proof and not just say "go look it up".

Also I said refurbished, not rebuilt or remanufactured. Here's a link incase you don't know the difference..
refurbished vs rebuilt - Google Search

(Did you notice how I provided supporting evidence? Should take note.)

Also as I said in the ad, as a novice I do not know how to identify the back plate but included a picture in case anyone felt generous enough to assist in identifying it.

Please feel free to provide any links of this chuck for sell, or sold anywhere for anything less than what I've posted and I will gladly consider changing my prices. Otherwise please feel free to move on. Thanks.

You seem to have trouble with reading COMPREHENSION I said SOLD listings not asking prices !! And as Doug said did you do any tests to show accuracy to factory specs to justify calling it refurbished ? If not just what is known around here as rattle can rebuild.

Please feel free to post some links thanks

Feel free to take your chuck and your 5 chuck related posts and go :)
Some of these folks are blunt, but most know what they are talking about.

Edit: Metfab beat me to it
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

used 3 jaw chuck from a south bend lathe
what could be wrong with it.
wise men don't buy used 3 jaw scroll chucks with out checking them out
and surely not on the say so of some unknown yahoo.

and this isn't a crowd you are going to sucker

Next time your better off to leave it assembled and keep the cold blue away from it. You may feel like you hit the jackpot, but you went overboard on the cleanup. Getting pissy with people doesn't do you any good. Our time is to valuable to do your market research. Let's just see how long it takes you to sell a overpriced screwed up chuck. By the way.. the last nice nice chuck I bought was $250,

used 3 jaw chuck from a south bend lathe
what could be wrong with it.
wise men don't buy used 3 jaw scroll chucks with out checking them out
and surely not on the say so of some unknown yahoo.

and this isn't a crowd you are going to sucker

I'm not trying to sucker anyone? And it was never used on the southbend, I received it in a lot with the south bend purchase.. and I'm not asking anyone to take my word on anything, anyone is very welcome to asking questions or specs. I am willing to work with anyone interested in buying the chuck so I don't see the problem?

Next time your better off to leave it assembled and keep the cold blue away from it. You may feel like you hit the jackpot, but you went overboard on the cleanup. Getting pissy with people doesn't do you any good. Our time is to valuable to do your market research. Let's just see how long it takes you to sell a overpriced screwed up chuck. By the way.. the last nice nice chuck I bought was $250,

It was never cold blued. Thanks for assuming though.
And no, I don't think I've hit any jackpots, I'm simply selling the chuck since it doesn't fit my lathe.

I'm not asking anyone to do any research for me, but if someone does say that my prices are wrong than I don't see harm in asking for proof, as all I could find are the links I listed. Like I said above, if anyone is willing to share the links to these sold listings for much cheaper than please feel free to link them and I'll check them out and adjust my prices accordingly.

And I'm sorry, but if people's time around here is so valuable than why is everyone so willing to come around and bash on my ad? If you're not interested than why not just move on?

OP
The real issue is that this Discussion is supposed to be a place for members to sell to other members. It’s not Ebay or Craigslist. Lately lots of people have been showing up, selling one or more things, and then they take off. Lots of times they want help either pricing or identifying the item they are selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right on, I suppose I can understand the frustration of older members not wanting new people to abuse the forums to their advantage.

I may not be a long term member yet, but as fascinating and addictive as this metal working machinery is, I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon. I absolutely love this stuff and it's caught like a fever. So it may be a while till I'm in a place to contribute, but I do intend to stick around till I am.

Yeah I figured it wouldn't bring near the original manufactures cost (over $2k) which is why I priced it the way I did.. I looked into other buck chucks similar and tried to price accordingly. And part of cleaning it up I made sure to not hit it with any abrasives because I knew that would be a bad idea. Anyways, thanks for the hospitality, cheers to you too.

Back