What's new
What's new

FS: Hanson Drill Bit Sets USA Made NOS

oliverarn

Aluminum
ALL SOLD PP Thanks
I posted my email address on this post trying to make it easy for every on including myself. I did not expect the response I got.
I realize that was a mistake to post my email also as it is now difficult to connect the emails to the PM members.
I am trying to sort this out as fair as i can.

Thanks for the understand and my apologies to anyone that I missed.

New Old Stock Hanson 21 piece Fractional Drill Bit Sets. USA made I think they are from the 80’s. I have six sets.

$30.00 Each Shipped

[email protected]

Thanks Ron

IMG_1290.jpgIMG_1291.jpgIMG_1282.jpgIMG_1286.jpg

Last edited:
Well I obtained them about 10 years ago from a closed down tool supply that was closed for many years. The box's clearly state made in USA. The drill bits themselves state MADE IN USA. I stated I think from the 80's because that is when i seem to recall Hanson selling these sets in the green metal case.

Cheers
Ron

Sorry I now know posting my email was a mistake. I was trying to make it easy for me and everyone else. I am having difficulty connecting the emails to the PM members that responded on the Forum. Sorry if you wanted one and they were gone. Did not expect them to go so fast I guess I should have asked a little more for them.
I am doing my best to be fair on these.

Thanks for the understanding
Ron

Well I obtained them about 10 years ago from a closed down tool supply that was closed for many years. The box's clearly state made in USA. The drill bits themselves state MADE IN USA. I stated I think from the 80's because that is when i seem to recall Hanson selling these sets in the green metal case.

Cheers
Ron

Thanks Ron.

-Marty-

Drill set got here as advertised- brand new
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone who bought these used any of them yet? I ran a small hobby job that consisted of 18x 11/64" (0.172") holes running 1500 rpm or so in a manual mill through 3/4" 316 stainless, using thread cutting oil. The drill did not last through 18 holes. No biggie, I figured maybe I didn't clear the chips enough or feed hard enough at one point and dulled or welded a chip. Finished out that hole and the day with a drill from another set and put the offending bit in my pocket for sharpening later (on a DD which I've never had issue with).

The resharpened bit cut beautifully the next day for a couple more holes and then the same bad noise and poor performance returned. Ok, maybe this material has bad spots in it...grabbed the other bit again and to my surprise it went right through and finished the job without issue. Definitely seemed to be a drill issue, not material issue. The replacement/backup drill was from a full 29-piece index bought through Northern Tool years ago with no-name, but they are USA and have proved to be nice.

I think this is the only size I've used so far, and am not in any way upset with the seller, just curious if others have any sort of similar experience.

curious if others have any sort of similar experience.

Drilling Stainless is not their long-suit. At all!

See Guhring for that.

Back when they were popular, the Hanson line of taps and drills were sold in hardware stores and building trades supply houses as general-purpose all-around light-duty mechanic and general craftsman goods, never "production" or "industrial" to machine-shops.

One went "mostly" to Cleveland Twist Drill (CTD), Cle-Forge, Chicago-Latrobe, Union, Butterworth, Morse, and a select few other "major" makers who worked in the top grades of HSS/Cobalt & c.

Most of those brands are still good drills. Some are still made in US factories by American staff so they can grab sales under the Defense industry "buy American" rules.

But the factories are owned by Dalian Top Eastern, and even their Chinese-Chinese factories turn out rather good drills.

Thanks. Being a product of the 80's myself I wasn't sure. I was under the impression that Hanson/Irwin was once pretty decent stuff and being Made in the US would provided indication that these were in that category. I'll simply keep them away from tougher materials, they were still a great deal and look well made.

Drilling Stainless is not their long-suit. At all!

See Guhring for that.

Any drill in a drill index should be used on easy to drill materials only, 316 isn't just stainless it is nasty stainless. You may have been able to drill some 416 stainless with those but no way on the 316 stainless.

Any drill in a drill index should be used on easy to drill materials only, 316 isn't just stainless it is nasty stainless. You may have been able to drill some 416 stainless with those but no way on the 316 stainless.

Well, sometimes they'll cut more exotic materials. When my place was starting out I bought a ton of made in USA cobalt stub drill sets from Enco (independent of MSC at the time), and they've served me very well over the years. 316, A276, Inconel, carbon fiber, etc. No worries.

Ah, for Enco prices and their 25% off coupons again. And free shipping!

Well, sometimes they'll cut more exotic materials. When my place was starting out I bought a ton of made in USA cobalt stub drill sets from Enco (independent of MSC at the time), and they've served me very well over the years. 316, A276, Inconel, carbon fiber, etc. No worries.

Ah, for Enco prices and their 25% off coupons again. And free shipping!

Interesting, I never thought they sold high end drills in drill indexes. Of coarse the drill index boxes I have are over 30 years old. I have only used them in hand drills.

Back