What's new
What's new

FS: Hardinge HLV Spares from CNC conversion

jools

Aluminum
Hi All

I'm converting my Hardinge HLV to CNC and as such will find myself with a lot of spare parts that are no longer needed. If anyone wants them please ask or PM me about them.

A non exhaustive list is:

All leadscrews and half nuts: Imperial
Hand wheels
The compound cross slide
Automatic feed motor and potentiometer.
440v 3 phase motor
All electricals
The gearbox (imperial) if it's easy to remove
The speed selector handle
The speed selector pulley assembly
Quite a few of the handles and knobs

There may be more that I've missed out, so if you want something that's not needed in a cnc machine and I've not listed please ask.

I'm based in Lincoln in the UK but happy to post worldwide at buyers expense.

Regarding prices on these, in all honesty I really don't know. All I can go on is other similar items listed on ebay from other machines, or if helpful members have bought anything recently and could guide me I'd be happy to be advised :-) . Happy to listen to offers though.

Cheers

Jools

Atleast here in the us you could probably sell you Hardinge and pick up a real cnc lathe for less$ some like a small Mazak quick turn. Or a small doosan

Atleast here in the us you could probably sell you Hardinge and pick up a real cnc lathe for less$ some like a small Mazak quick turn. Or a small doosan

+1, you'd be way ahead if you started with a Hardinge HNC/CHNC with a dead control, you'd start with servos, proper ball screws, turret, air powered collet closer, enclosure etc etc

Yea I’ve seen decent hlv lathes go for over 10k at auctions. Which is ridiculous but people will pay.

I agree with others, I would sell the HLV instead of doing a retrofit CNC control. Take that money and buy a dead CNC if you want something to retrofit. That plan will get you the most bang for your buck.

Yeah I had thought about that too. Thing is it has no tooling, needs both belts (which are bloody expensive here, I can put a servo on for a touch more than the two belts), I don't have 440v 3phase power so need a new motor anyway.

I bought it spares or repair knowing these issues with the intention of CNC'ing it so for the price I paid I'm happy with doing it this way.

Though if anyone wants to buy the whole thing I'm happy to ship :-)

HLV or HLV-H? what age is it? what condition are the parts in?

It's a HLV
Age not sure. Serial number is 0512
Parts look ok to eyeball but haven't measured them or anything like that. Some of the dials have age related marks on them.

Being an hlv it’s probably worth less. But still think you would be much farther ahead fixing it up and selling and buying a proper cnc.

Parts are not priced- he is looking for "bids" then will check the offers against ebay..... Not interested anymore. Best list the parts on ebay.

Parts are not priced- he is looking for "bids" then will check the offers against ebay..... Not interested anymore. Best list the parts on ebay.

Absolute crap but you're entitled to your opinion but I don't see why you're spitting your dummy out in public.

As I mentioned in the original post I haven't got a clue about prices so best thing for me when there is plenty of interest in parts is to ask what peoples budget is. Why would I not want to get the best price for myself?

FYI: I sold the cross travel motor through this exact way. This was at a price I'm very happy with and one that the buyer is also very happy with. According to the buyer the price that we agreed is apparently about half what Paul at Babbin advised him it was worth. We had a grown up discussion about this and I said I was happy with it and hoped it got his machine up and running again.

So if you want to do business then do business, if you don't respectfully take your sour grape opinions elsewhere.

ATB
Jools

Being an hlv it’s probably worth less. But still think you would be much farther ahead fixing it up and selling and buying a proper cnc.

Not in the UK.

I look enviously across the pond at the amount of cheap used machinery you have for sale there. Over here there's such a lack of affordably priced used machinery as it gets snapped up by the large hobby machinist community.

If it was in super perfect condition I'd think £5k tops. That would mean a Bed and carriage regrind (£2000), sorting out the electrics (not sure but lets budget £350), two new belts for the motor (£200), a respray to make it look nice (£250) plus replacing the worn lead screws and nuts (say £250 to £500 depending what Hardinge charge), possible gearbox issue though this might be my lack of knowledge of how the machine functions properly but the main leadscrew turns very lumpy so I expect at least one bearing needs replacing, if one needs to be done I expect I'd find more. This is all on top of what I paid for it. So with those kind of prices I'd be into it for about £4,000. That gives me maybe £1000 profit for all the work and I can guarantee you I'll not find a CNC lathe in any kind of good condition for that money.

Currently I've sold the travel-motor and potentiometer. I'm now into the whole lathe for £40. Anything else sold is just pure profit that will go to the conversion costs and if at all possibly a bed regrind.

Jools

I'm interested in the gears that are inside the apron if they're in decent shape. It takes a bit of work to get to them, but not bad. I might also be interested in the leadscrew half nuts.

Thanks for offering the castoffs to those who might find them useful!

Mark

Not in the UK.

I look enviously across the pond at the amount of cheap used machinery you have for sale there. Over here there's such a lack of affordably priced used machinery as it gets snapped up by the large hobby machinist community.

If it was in super perfect condition I'd think £5k tops. That would mean a Bed and carriage regrind (£2000)

Bed grind on mine was £300.

Bed grind on mine was £300.

How long ago was that and may I ask where you took it? Been hunting more and I've found that slide way services will do it for about £500, that's just for the bed regrind though, the rest is down to me.

I'm interested in the gears that are inside the apron if they're in decent shape. It takes a bit of work to get to them, but not bad. I might also be interested in the leadscrew half nuts.

Mark

Hi Mark

I'll pm you as there'll be investigating to do to make sure they match. Mines a Uk one and there's differences between them. Is your's a US or UK?

Jools

Mark

@stradbash
Can't pm you, your mailbox is full :)
Maybe drop me a PM

Back