What's new
What's new

Fs hardinge lensmaster radius attachment for hardinge d59 speed lathe

The Gentleman

Cast Iron
Complete ready to use lensmaster radius att.
Super condition
will ship from buffalo if you make all of the arrangments or local pick up
asking $1000 or best offer
pictures on request for serious buyers
send pm with smart phone number or email address and i can send photos
possible trade for other tooling or machinery

Larry,

Do you know the process of making turned contact lens? I can see starting out with a bar of plastic stock and putting the first radius on and parting it off, but how would you hold it for the radius on the other side? Also would they be finished on the lathe or would there be subsequent polishing operations?

Thanks
Todd

Larry,

Do you know the process of making turned contact lens? I can see starting out with a bar of plastic stock and putting the first radius on and parting it off, but how would you hold it for the radius on the other side? Also would they be finished on the lathe or would there be subsequent polishing operations?

Thanks
Todd
I've often wondered the same; my main "small" lathe is a Leinen WW pattern that came with a headstock boost plate and was clearly used for plastic radius work before I got it. Poor thing has about 10k hours after what should have been its retirement, thank you Barden bearings and Levin slide (x axis modified for Schaublin 70 screw and crank). Always throws off the newbs- Schaublin Levin Leinen haha.

I saw a Levin radius turning lathe in the flea market in Geneva 12 years ago or so, but being with the less cargo-carrying stroller that day I passed it by. Still kind of kick myself for it (150, 200 bucks?), but little kids do influence purches haha.

Larry,

Thanks
Todd

Hardinge sells four different 5C collets for the Lensmaster. They all have extended noses with a 1/16 or 1/8 inch deep step and .501 inch diameter to hold a lens blank.

https://www.shophardinge.com/search.aspx?str=lensmaster

ShopHardinge - 82790218005010

Levin used to sell a similar machine, but theirs had a 3C collet.

I think that CNC machines have displaced these manual lathes. And I think the new machines do not use conventional 5C or similar collets, but do still use thin discs for blanks.

Larry

Hardinge sells four different 5C collets for the Lensmaster. They all have extended noses with a 1/16 or 1/8 inch deep step and .501 inch diameter to hold a lens blank.

Levin used to sell a similar machine, but theirs had a 3C collet.

I think that CNC machines have displaced these manual lathes. And I think the new machines do not use conventional 5C or similar collets, but do still use thin discs for blanks.

Larry

I can see how that would work now. You would start off with a 1/16 or 1/8 x .501 blank machine the radius on one side flip it over and machine the second radius. Where the edges of the two radiuses would meet would probably be just a few thousands of an inch. So when you parted the lens out of the blank you would be left with a ring of plastic left in the collet. Then there would be subsequent polishing operations to finish the lens. I could see an outfit like Bausch & Lomb having banks of theses machines setup to run one radius their entire life.

Back