What's new
What's new

WTB: fingers for Diacro 24" finger brake

I bought mine about 30 years ago, missing just a few fingers. At the time, new ones were available from Di-Acro, but I recall they had two different models of brake and I had to send a tracing of one of my fingers in order to get the right replacements. So be sure what you are buying if you find some used ones. And note that the fingers on eBay today are all modified in some way, either notched or the end radius increased.

Di-Acro also made a single 24" finger to fit these brakes.

Larry

As far as I know they are still available from Diacro . Bought new ones for mine a few years back . Bill

They are very pricey, especially for a full set... I'm hoping to find someone that has some kicking around that they are looking to offload... Plan B is to make some on the shaper... I have some large chunks of A2 that I think would make great fingers if I can find somewhere to heat treat reasonably.

They are very pricey, especially for a full set... I'm hoping to find someone that has some kicking around that they are looking to offload... Plan B is to make some on the shaper... I have some large chunks of A2 that I think would make great fingers if I can find somewhere to heat treat reasonably.

Define "Full Set".

Because the full set we had for the box and pan brake at work was full width, starting from no radius, and radii steps up in 1/16", to around 1/2"R, with a couple oddball 64ths sets thrown in to fill some needed gaps.

In a world of infinite possibilities, collecting the whole set is a path along which madness lays! :)

Define "Full Set".

Because the full set we had for the box and pan brake at work was full width, starting from no radius, and radii steps up in 1/16", to around 1/2"R, with a couple oddball 64ths sets thrown in to fill some needed gaps.

In a world of infinite possibilities, collecting the whole set is a path along which madness lays! :)
Good point! I would like 24" width of fingers (at least a few smaller widths) with a small radius, no larger than 1/8". But at this point, if someone had a set of 1/4 radius that they wanted to sell I would certainly consider it as it will get me operational faster than making my own fingers and sending for heat treat.

Good point! I would like 24" width of fingers (at least a few smaller widths) with a small radius, no larger than 1/8". But at this point, if someone had a set of 1/4 radius that they wanted to sell I would certainly consider it as it will get me operational faster than making my own fingers and sending for heat treat.

Get the smallest radius you think you can use and bend some shims of various thicknesses. Bend them tightly around the fingers and hold them in place with masking tape.

Get the smallest radius you think you can use and bend some shims of various thicknesses. Bend them tightly around the fingers and hold them in place with masking tape.

A zero Radius or very tight radius full width nose bar is handy for that, as is a sheet of either 1100 aluminum, or mild steel, as both can be stacked up and formed over the nose in successive layers.
I was taught that this technique was called "Packing" the brake. <shrug> Dunno if that name had any merit outside of where I was learning it, but there you go.

Ours were stored on a near vertical rack, in J shaped shelves, each size nose had it's own full width shelf for the set of various width fingers. Made it pretty easy to see if they were all accounted for, as well as easy to find the correct size per the radius called out in the books for the part.

I have the same problem. My 24” Diacro finger brake came with only 3-4 fingers. The previous owner machined some additional fingers from HRS. i.e. I have an assortment of widths machined to the same leading angle as the original fingers, but they are not finish machined.

I need to know whether the fingers should be hardened, and if so, to what hardness. If yes, do I need to start over with a better grade of steel?

good luck. I kept getting told for years that they are easy to make, but I had nothing to copy and noone had a drawing.
I eventually got a chuck of 4140ph and bought the cheapest one off ebay and made them myself. It was not hard and looking back you could probably get by with mild steel and if it wears down welding it back up with hardfacing rod and re machining.
FYI your Diacro box and pan brake uses the same fingers as the Pexto px 24 box and pan brake

Dave

Fingers on the little Diacro brakes seem to be about HRC 32-34; I'd make them out of pre-hard and call it a day, but only if they came to a sharp point. 1/16"R or more and HRS fingers would likely outlive me!

Kent

Back