What's new
What's new

FS: INCOMPLETE c.1929 South Bend JR for restoration/parts

Mikalius

Plastic
Hi everyone,
I got about 50% of an old South Bend Jr. thrown in on a 'clean out my garage' purchase a few months back. Ideally I'd want to part with everything as a single lot, but may be willing to part things out if the demand is high enough. I'm in SE PA (19382) and while I CAN ship to you, a local pickup obviously is cheaper for us all!

Full Google album of the parts is here: SB Jr. - Google Photos

Let's start with an overview of what I've got (bed, leadscrew with banjo end and tail end support block, headstock with backgear shaft, eccentrics and backgears, main gear cover with mounting bracket, two gear guards, and the front apron):
IMG_20191215_110706.jpg IMG_20191215_110713.jpg IMG_20191215_111644.jpg IMG_20191215_111635.jpg IMG_20191215_111320.jpg

With local pickup, $250 would take it all. Shipping wouldn't be terrible until we get the bed involved...

Specifics:
BED -- measures 37"L x 7"W x 5.5"H. stamped with serial no.41165A which I date to either 1928 or 1929. No feet, needs some serious rust and paint removal but the ways visually look surprisingly undamaged

LEADSCREW -- 3/4" 8tpi ACME with the tail-end bushing block and banjo with 44T and 80T gears (both gears are intact, no teeth missing).

HEADSTOCK -- includes mounting blocks for attaching head to the bed. Eccentric bushings for backgear shaft are very tight; need some cleaning and lubrication, I believe. Spindle nose is 1.5"-8tpi with a 3/4" through-bore. Missing some assorted set screws and the like. Gears are intact EXCEPT for one tooth missing on the smaller of the two backgears (close-up in the google album)

MAIN GEAR COVER -- has brass threading table plate and handle intact, as well as the mounting pad for attaching to the bed. Marked 9-146J in the casting...

GEAR GUARDS -- cover headstock gears and backgears. Left-hand is intact, right-hand is complete but broken into two pieces (both pieces have mounting bosses on them, so could be installed as-is)

APRON -- apron has the main pinion shaft and gear intact; handwheel and half-nut engagement lever. THERE ARE NO HALF NUTS but the mounting and engagement bits are all there.

Please feel free to ask any questions, for more details, etc. Thanks!
Mike

Back