FS: Kearney & Trecker Dividing Head
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default FS: Kearney & Trecker Dividing Head

I bought this dividing head with some other items at an auction, and I will not have a use for it. I believe that it is a model "H" based on pictures of others that I've seen. It looks like the Serial Number is 61/4441. It comes with the 6" Cushman chuck and drive gear shown, but I don't have any other gears or plates to go with it. I think the weight is a little better than 100 lbs, so this is probably a freight or pick up situation. Located in Strasburg, VA, just off I-81. I'd like $250 for it. PM is the best way to contact me.

image2_tn.jpgimage3_tn.jpgktdh-chuck_tn.jpgktgear_tn.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1_tn.jpg  
    Last edited by catskinr; 11-19-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of 75 10" Model H completed April 1943

3. Likes catskinr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Per request, another picture.

gear-shaft_tn.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

And scans from the '39 full line catalog. You can blow them up some. As can be seen, the 10" weighs 95 Lbs all by its lonesome

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...er/KTHDH01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...er/KTHDH02.jpg

6. Likes catskinr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More pics

gear-shaft_tn.jpggear_tn.jpgscale-shaft_tn.jpgshaft_tn.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The dividing head is sold pending pickup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sold! Thank you Practical Machinist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heck of a deal for a great Dividing head, with the 3-jaw to boot. Still haven't made a backing plate for mine. . .

I love my little H though!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I missed this one by only about 8 years! Anyone else have one for sale that can be driven by the K&T spline shaft? I'm guessing the drive input is where the cog is fastened on the one sold above. There's been one on Eboo forever, now down to $1k without a Chuck, I don't want to pay that much for something I'd use maybe once a year. Can other brands of dividing head be driven by the K&T splineshaft without building a special gearbox? I'm guessing answer is no if only because the shaft and socket have to be at the same height off table and all the makers seem to design things so you have to buy their products.

Another concern is the index plates. When I see a K&T head advertised it will only have one index plate with it. I'll probably never find one with the three standard-issue plates with it, let alone the four high-number plates, but I'll keep lookin'. I would pay more if I found one in good working condition with a bunch of index plates. I'm not going to try and make index plates for it, I know it. Is possible to do but too time-consuming for me to tackle.
    Last edited by Cannonmn; 01-19-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add

Post Thanks / Like

All recent (for sure K and H models) use gearboxes - standard and low lead

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonmn View Post
    Well I missed this one by only about 8 years! Anyone else have one for sale that can be driven by the K&T spline shaft? I'm guessing the drive input is where the cog is fastened on the one sold above. There's been one on Eboo forever, now down to $1k without a Chuck, I don't want to pay that much for something I'd use maybe once a year. Can other brands of dividing head be driven by the K&T splineshaft without building a special gearbox? I'm guessing answer is no if only because the shaft and socket have to be at the same height off table and all the makers seem to design things so you have to buy their products.

Another concern is the index plates. When I see a K&T head advertised it will only have one index plate with it. I'll probably never find one with the three standard-issue plates with it, let alone the four high-number plates, but I'll keep lookin'. I would pay more if I found one in good working condition with a bunch of index plates. I'm not going to try and make index plates for it, I know it. Is possible to do but too time-consuming for me to tackle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mean the recent ones use gear boxes instead of index plates? If so do you need a bunch of different gears to get different divisions or what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mean the recent ones use gear boxes instead of index plates? If so do you need a bunch of different gears to get different divisions or what?
    H & K DH's use both, Index plates and gear boxes. The index plates are for dividing a circle and the gear box with change gears does spiral milling. I seen a 10" model H on CL a couple days ago. I think it was right around $250.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 9" series 5810 for $500, no chuck. It is 120# without boxing. It has the two standard index plates. K&T index plates are two sided, two plates do all holes to 100. This head is 5:1 on the index plates, and the standard 40:1 with the input shaft. For power driving, the drive shaft is under the table parallel to the lead screw. Some sort of coupling would be required to get the power from under the table to the input shaft above the table.

A dividing head and milling machine will produce a lead of 10" at 1:1. If you wish to time the rotation of the dividing head to the feed of the table either the standard lead or low lead box will be required and will allow you to vary the lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Post #13 is describing a Model K DH

Study up. H and K manuals. If you read all this you will have multiple questions taken care of as far as Kearney Trecker DHs and their drives

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6525.pdf

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6747.pdf