FS: L&S L1 collet chuck and 24 collets. Lodge & Shipley
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default FS: L&S L1 collet chuck and 24 collets. Lodge & Shipley

I am asking $700 plus shipping. Shipping weight will be close to 100 lbs.

I have been holding onto this with the idea of converting it to a D1-6 mount, but I just don't do enough collet work, and it is a nice enough set that it shouldn't be altered. I'm not sure if I would say good or very good condition- when I first mounted it on an L1 spindle, I got .0002 runout on the collet taper. It has never seen more that very light surface rust. The surface of the collet taper is fine- no defects there. The collets look to have gone through normal use, and have very small external dings here and there which can be easily corrected. Their bores are fine as far as I can see.

Sizes: 1/8 to 5/8 by 1/32s, 11/16 to 1 inch by 1/16s, 1 1/8, 1 1/4

If you are unfamiliar, the chuck has three positions for the chuck key, which engages an internal bevel gear to draw the collet in. The collet is 4" long with approx .900 long bore. The thread is a 1.75-8 acme. The pilot diameter on the collet measures 1.7492-1.7495, and the bore in the chuck is 1.7500.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ls1.jpg   ls2.jpg   ls3.jpg   ls4.jpg   ls5.jpg  

Last edited by ColbyL; 04-28-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: add pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Collet pics

Her's a few pics of a collet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ls6.jpg   ls7.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Reducing price to $550

Well, no nibbles yet, so I'm bringing the price down a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Still Available

Still available, reducing price to
    $500

Email me at [email protected] if interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe you will have better luck selling this if you can identify the manufacturer, and more importantly the collet type. No one wants to buy a collet chuck if you cannot buy collets to fit. I spent a couple minutes looking to identify the collet type with no luck.

CarlBoyd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBoyd View Post
    I believe you will have better luck selling this if you can identify the manufacturer, and more importantly the collet type. No one wants to buy a collet chuck if you cannot buy collets to fit. I spent a couple minutes looking to identify the collet type with no luck.

CarlBoyd
    Its identified twice in the title, and here is an earlier one:

16 LS Tool Room :: ColletAttachScan.jpg picture by johnoder - Photobucket

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I'm looking at a copy of this collet chuck on eBay, to potentially go on my big L-1 spindle lathe. (If and when I ever get it back together. )

But before I leap in headfirst, I have two questions: One, does anyone know what kind of collets it takes? They look close to 16C, but the thread appears too coarse. If they're L&S-only collets, that kind of limits things a bit, and the chuck in question, while it has a nice set, only goes up to 1". (Whereas the OP goes to 1-1/4", and from the look of it, may be able to go slightly larger still.

If I'm stuck with 1" and smaller, I might as well get a 5C adapter or something.

The other question is, it looks like the key nose is more akin to a drill-chuck key nose than something like a standard square chuck key.Sounds like it, too, might be largely unobtainium, I wonder how difficult it might be to cut a new key?

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like

One, does anyone know what kind of collets it takes?
    L&S collets - thread is acme

They were offering these before there was such a thing as a L type spindle nose

Looks like the page is dated 1927

By the way - these are useless without the very fancy ball crank with bevel pinion gear on the end
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan-01.jpg  
    Last edited by johnoder; 11-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So specific to L&S, and probably specific to this particular type of chuck. Not ideal. Looks like Hardinge doesn't even list them- the only L&S they show is a "3H" or something like that, with an average price over $200 each.

Sounds like if I wanted to run a collet chuck on this thing, I'd be better off getting one of the Hardinge-Sjogrens that take 2J collets.

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
    So specific to L&S, and probably specific to this particular type of chuck. Not ideal. Looks like Hardinge doesn't even list them- the only L&S they show is a "3H" or something like that, with an average price over $200 each.

Sounds like if I wanted to run a collet chuck on this thing, I'd be better off getting one of the Hardinge-Sjogrens that take 2J collets.

Doc.
    Both my lathes are D1-6 and I have a couple L1 pieces leftover.
    (1) L1 to Sjogren 5C adapter

(2) LS closer like the Op’s. I’ve seen the collets pop up on eBay reasonably priced. I use the Sjogren 5C and 3J so I’m covered up to 1-3/4”.

If you decide to go the Sjogren route and find one without the mounted spindle adapter, keep in mind the backsides are different on the Sjogren’s.

If interested, $150 for both plus the ride.
    Andy
    FS: Lodge and Shipley collet closer.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Hardinge doesn't even list them
    Nearly 20 years ago I had them make a pair of semi specials - the medium size for the 3B P&W Jig Bore - a collet without any threads

The bill was $1100 and change. I doubt that this situation has improved

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edit. Sent PM instead

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    (1) L1 to Sjogren 5C adapter
    -What kind of "adapter"? Do you mean one of the handwheel closers? If that's the case I might well be interested.

(2) LS closer like the Op’s. I’ve seen the collets pop up on eBay reasonably priced.
    -Less sure I'm interested anymore. The one on eBay is the one I was looking at, and it at least has included collets up to 1". I could theoretically make more collets for a few steps above that, John's article suggests 1-5/16" is the max.

But as before, the 2J and 3J collets are considerably more plentiful.

Let's see the Sjogren you've got, if it's something like what I have in mind, I might just take both. Price on the L&S is low enough it might be interesting to see if I could make an internal ring that fits 16C collets instead of the L&S pieces.

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
    -What kind of "adapter"? Do you mean one of the handwheel closers? If that's the case I might well be interested.

-Less sure I'm interested anymore. The one on eBay is the one I was looking at, and it at least has included collets up to 1". I could theoretically make more collets for a few steps above that, John's article suggests 1-5/16" is the max.

But as before, the 2J and 3J collets are considerably more plentiful.

Let's see the Sjogren you've got, if it's something like what I have in mind, I might just take both. Price on the L&S is low enough it might be interesting to see if I could make an internal ring that fits 16C collets instead of the L&S pieces.

Doc.
    A Sjogren collet closer gets bolted to a removable spindle adapter so it can mount to an L1 spindle nose. I have the L1 to 5C Sjogren spindle adapter and that L&S collet closer.

Let’s say you find a 5C, 2J or 3J closer on the cheap that doesn’t fit your L1 spindle nose or maybe it doesn’t have an adapter at all....you have to make an adapter for your L1 spindle or buy one.

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 56ddf085-20ae-4cc6-97d5-af39f12e5dfa.jpg   23fa3d60-0174-4af0-8b57-77423dc36f02.jpg   ee19ffe1-c6a1-4960-8d7d-7b55798115af.jpg