What's new
What's new

[FS][Local] Monarch 10EE's DC Motor in Los Angeles

TheEPMachinist

Plastic
Hello,

I'm working on update my Monarch 10EE to VFD driven lathe, I've removed the original Reliance DC motor and is available for local sale and pickup. Located in the Los Angeles area.

IMG_7907.jpg
IMG_7908.jpg

I also have other parts from the same unit:

IMG_7910.jpg
IMG_7911.jpg

Thanks

Open to hear offers

Patience needed, then.

WITH gearbox, those repairing a 10EE with an outright missing motor - or VFD-borked - 10EE being put back "right" .... are still few and far between.

WITHOUT gearbox? I've bought three motors, helped ship another, traded one away - but all this transpiring over a period of nearly ten years.

I had a gearbox from a part-out. Round-dial-era, keyed-shaft type. So one of my "large-frame" 3 HP was bought "naked" .. for about $200.

And a splined-shaft WiaD era "small frame" 3 HP with NO gearbox was sent-away to another PM'er who had a gearbox but a fried motor.

Short answer?

Time it takes to move these puppies is largely about the GEARBOX! Then shipping cost or go-fetch practicality.

The "large frame" 3 HP Reliance otherwise seems to last near-as-dammit "forever", so - what with "optimists" doing VFD downgrades - there just might be more of them at-large than empty-bellied 10EE to house them?

Mayhap I should add an elevator to this 3-level-split for me Old OLD age?

'Coz it IS an elevator motor! Looong-years proven .... before ever it crawled into the belly of a 10EE...

:D

Thanks for the insights.

> Time it takes to move these puppies is largely about the GEARBOX! Then shipping cost or go-fetch practicality.

That's fair however I'm hanging onto it since I've fitted my new vector motor onto the gearbox.

> what with "optimists" doing VFD downgrades - there just might be more of them at-large than empty-bellied 10EE to house them?

I live in residential house in Los Angeles, I can't get 3-phase out here without a high cost and a long wait list from LADWP. I would keep it original however it's not really an option for my place.

Thanks for the insights.

> Time it takes to move these puppies is largely about the GEARBOX! Then shipping cost or go-fetch practicality.

That's fair however I'm hanging onto it since I've fitted my new vector motor onto the gearbox.

> what with "optimists" doing VFD downgrades - there just might be more of them at-large than empty-bellied 10EE to house them?

I live in residential house in Los Angeles, I can't get 3-phase out here without a high cost and a long wait list from LADWP. I would keep it original however it's not really an option for my place.

The "MG" units need but a 5 to 7.5 HP RPC and away they go. We have even had one "optimist" or two who have run them off 5 HP static (alleged) converters. At least three have had their OEM AC input motor re-connected to the Steelman-Hass single-phase solution and do not even need a phase converter.

MG or any OTHER 10EE with any of the OEM DC motors can shed EVERYTHING BUT the final-drive motor - EVERY OTHER bit of wire, relays, contactors, rheostats, braking resistors - no exceptions - is no longer a proper fit and can be shed outright ... to run off a (Eurotherm) Parker 4Q 514-C-16 DC Drive from single-phase 240 VAC - drawing but 15 A to 20 A at the wall.

Putting a solid-state drive in place is near-zero mechanical or machining work, no motor, gearbox, nor mount alteration - and less that ten percent the total count of wires and terminations as OEM. No relays. No contactors. No resistors. NADA!

NEW low-voltage controls can be put anywhere - same as a VFD's controls can be.

Your shop.

Your choices.

But there are plenty of ways to run an MG-era 10EE in a single-phase environment. WiaD and Modular are ALREADY single-phase, of course.

Back