What's new
What's new

FS Mimik Tracer UT2

JB Bergman

Hot Rolled
Removed from service MANY years ago. There is one complete set up, the UT2 is a 50mm stroke unit. The template holder will have to be fabricated. In addition there is and extra valve and extra hydraulic slide to serve as spares. The pump unit was converted to single phase motor.
I think the local pick up would be a good idea or perhaps pallet load to Fastenal for a reasonable fee.
MIMIK UT series for engine lathes & grinders

Looking for 500.00 because of the spares. Respond here and we will go from there.
JB Bergman

Attachments

• Mimik Tracer 2.jpg
    Mimik Tracer 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Mimik Tracer 3.jpg
    Mimik Tracer 3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 229
I never used those tracers and wonder if 50mm stroke means that the longest template and the copied feature on the work piece can be only up to 50mm. Or it works as a pantograph and can enlarge or reduce the pattern?

One dimension a potential buyer must know is the tool mounting surface height.

For someone without a taper attachment on their lathe, a hydraulic traces is a much more capable substitute. Yes, it will take longer to set up than a taper attachment that is already on the lathe, but for more than a couple of pieces it is usually worthwhile. A hydraulic tracer will also allow you to cut threads using the fastest spindle speed you believe you can reliably close the half nuts.

Price drop. 350.00
Thanks JB

We have a deal!

PayPal or a dead-tree check and I wait 'til it clears. Only about two thousand years overdue on my commitments already, so no big rush.

My "host" a first-gen Cast Iron-not-weldment bottom Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC as left the factory with wotever Caze used on the rear tracer slide. See Tony's Cazeneuve pages for the OEM tracer:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cazeneuve360/img7.jpg

I still have the pump and reservoir in the base, have pitched the rotted lines. Nothing at all came with it up-top but the mounting ring, "away end" of the top slide, compound at "near end".

The Mimik maker's data for the UT-2 sez up to 14", which is wot a "360" is:

MIMIK UT series for engine lathes & grinders

..and they still make it and parts for it.

With that as fall-back, even if $$$, I think I can find a way to make this work. TP must be fabbed anyway, so height is not a show-stopper. Given the HBX has tee-slots down the whole length of the vertical aft side of its bed to mount "stuff", and the overhead support to carry the hydraulic lines on an arm or slide & rollers, mounting templates and running new juice lines should not be rocket surgery, either.

IOW - this "should be" more easily "do able" than on a(ny) lathe that did not ALREADY HAVE at least provision for "some form of" hydraulic tracer built into it.

As to "utility"?

That 50 mm on the radius is 100 mm (max, only if straight-in) on the diameter. Half that is more than enough, lots and lots of stuff.

It should at least serve as a taper attachment, which I do not have, either. Thanks, gbent!

art.h? You'd have to know the HBX-360-BC's weird but awesome way of doing threads, 'coz THAT part is hard for any other manual lathe to match.

PM/email coming, would like more photos, "top view", other details, but only if you already have them handy.

Take my own when it gets here otherwise..

:)

Bill

Last edited:
SOLD to the man with the green hat!
JB

Green? No Fine Way I'm going to start spray-painting my trademark "Panama" hats [1] in day-glo GREEN!

:D

FWIW-not-much-dept: Extensive images go-ogled, but I still have not ID'ed where Cazeneuve sourced their original hydraulic tracers. Doesn't seem to be Sauter, or any of the other old-line makers. It would be "just like Cazeneuve" to DIY their own.

Even so - the Mimik looks a rather close fit, so it should not be all that difficult to adapt to the built-in mounts and onboard hydraulic tank and pump.

[1]Cuenca, Ecuador, actually, and well over a hundred bucks each go....

https://www.panamahatsco.com/fedoras/copy-of-cavalier-fedora-2

Back