What's new
What's new

FS: New 3/4" 4-flute coated end mills

exkenna

Stainless
Hello
I have two 3/4" four flute coated end mills for sale.
They are new, in the tubes.
$90 for both, plus $8.00 shipping.
Paypal only please.
email me at: tooling64 [at] gmail dot com

Thanks
X

3-4%22 4-FL.jpg

Hey moderator, how come this guy gets "special" treatment on the topic of selling vs participating?
Bob

1400 posts, plenty of them offering real, objective, actionable advice, as opposed to; grandstanding, arm-chair-experting, trolling, or waxing philosophical on good 'ol days, which is the sum total of many user's contributions, I'd say he's participating quite well. :P

Don't know him personally, but his user was one of the first I started to recognize, and I've learned a lot from his posts. He's also (from my perspective), been a large factor in dispelling the myths about using carbide or indexible tooling on manual and hobby sized machines, much to the benefit in sanity and productivity of the community.

1400 posts, plenty of them offering real, objective, actionable advice, as opposed to; grandstanding, arm-chair-experting, trolling, or waxing philosophical on good 'ol days, which is the sum total of many user's contributions, I'd say he's participating quite well. :P

Don't know him personally, but his user was one of the first I started to recognize, and I've learned a lot from his posts. He's also (from my perspective), been a large factor in dispelling the myths about using carbide or indexible tooling on manual and hobby sized machines, much to the benefit in sanity and productivity of the community.

Don't mean to derail and be off topic but is there a specific thread about the carbide with manual/hobby machines? I would love to read that........
Thanks!

Don't mean to derail and be off topic but is there a specific thread about the carbide with manual/hobby machines? I would love to read that........
Thanks!

Check out his website:
Lathe inserts .com

You will find specific links to the hobby applications. Look over the products, read the reviews, then email him with specific questions.

Steve

Steve

Hey moderator, how come this guy gets "special" treatment on the topic of selling vs participating?
Bob

Here is just one recent post that represents the many times he used his knowledge to help others, I call that participating. Perhaps now you are willing to offer an acknowledgement that you were wrong about his lack of participation.

face milling, interrupted, steel - insert recommendation

Charles

Here is just one recent post that represents the many times he used his knowledge to help others, I call that participating. Perhaps now you are willing to offer an acknowledgement that you were wrong about his lack of participation.

face milling, interrupted, steel - insert recommendation

Charles

Perfect example, I just read it, and learned more shit about inserts I didn't know, which explains (and validates) observations I had from trying various inserts I had laying about with stainless and carbon steels.

Thanks charles and exkenna!

Thanks!

Sorry I'm not good at organizing bookmarks, so I rarely bother unless it's specific to something I'm working on. Trust me, if you look through any threads in recent years here on the subject (tip: try searching google for your query, and append "site:practicalmachinist.com" to the end of the search, minus quotes, to only show results for this forum.) you'll see his user pop up, and defer to what he says, even when blanket dissent follows, unless that dissent really resonates for you.

I haven't bought any of his tools, which are by all accounts, top notch (read: curated for quality, efficacy, at a good cost ratio), but by reading here, and on his site, I've been able to source various holders and tools, either cheapo's but decent, or surplus and premium, by considering said information, to pretty good personal success with them.

Since I've randomly acquired large handfuls of this or that premium insert when buying tools locally from retiring guys, I'm usually trying to figure out a way to utilize them, which is the only reason I haven't just tooled up directly from exkenna's site. However, I am planning to try a certain type of facemill he sells and his inserts for aluminum very soon, and I've sent other guys without much background his way, and they've had results far exceeding what could be expected from their experience level. I'd say it's a pretty sure bet if you want to be able to call, explain your needs, and get a good value great performing tool, without a bunch of research and high peace of mind factor.

It's getting easier now, some of the better youtubers have been putting out videos explaining insert nomenclature and what they use with manual machines, so it's not quite as daunting to learn enough about the murky world of indexables as it once was (which IMO just a few years ago, was nearly impossible for a layman to get a handle on all the random designations and acronyms, considering the volume of older proprietary geometries, coatings, coding systems, etc), especially now that labeling seems to be getting more standardized. Previously however, I'd given up entirely until I started seeing exkenna chime in, and like many others I'm sure, I just thought HSS was the only reasonable option with manual machines. Surely it still is the best option in some cases, but I've certainly found the same to be true of insert tooling, with, for example; stainless, for me, and my lathe, that is.

Sorry I'm not good at organizing bookmarks, so I rarely bother unless it's specific to something I'm working on. Trust me, if you look through any threads in recent years here on the subject (tip: try searching google for your query, and append "site:practicalmachinist.com" to the end of the search, minus quotes, to only show results for this forum.) you'll see his user pop up, and defer to what he says, even when blanket dissent follows, unless that dissent really resonates for you.

I haven't bought any of his tools, which are by all accounts, top notch (read: curated for quality, efficacy, at a good cost ratio), but by reading here, and on his site, I've been able to source various holders and tools, either cheapo's but decent, or surplus and premium, by considering said information, to pretty good personal success with them.

Since I've randomly acquired large handfuls of this or that premium insert when buying tools locally from retiring guys, I'm usually trying to figure out a way to utilize them, which is the only reason I haven't just tooled up directly from exkenna's site. However, I am planning to try a certain type of facemill he sells and his inserts for aluminum very soon, and I've sent other guys without much background his way, and they've had results far exceeding what could be expected from their experience level. I'd say it's a pretty sure bet if you want to be able to call, explain your needs, and get a good value great performing tool, without a bunch of research and high peace of mind factor.

It's getting easier now, some of the better youtubers have been putting out videos explaining insert nomenclature and what they use with manual machines, so it's not quite as daunting to learn enough about the murky world of indexables as it once was (which IMO just a few years ago, was nearly impossible for a layman to get a handle on all the random designations and acronyms, considering the volume of older proprietary geometries, coatings, coding systems, etc), especially now that labeling seems to be getting more standardized. Previously however, I'd given up entirely until I started seeing exkenna chime in, and like many others I'm sure, I just thought HSS was the only reasonable option with manual machines. Surely it still is the best option in some cases, but I've certainly found the same to be true of insert tooling, with, for example; stainless, for me, and my lathe, that is.

That link I gave was a poor example of a discussion on the subject. I googled and a list of discussions on the subject popped up. I copied the link and posted it. It only posted that negative thread,not the whole list. There are some good civil discussions here on the forum on tooling. SteveM's link and Cblair's link and your suggestion are better.

And thanks exkenna ,for being here on the forum.

Last edited:

Back