Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default FS: Parting out a Clausing 5900

I have a Clausing 5909 lathe that I will be parting out. The lathe had tipped over at some point in it's past and has some major damage as a result. I bought it as a project a few years ago but now that I have other lathes I no longer need it, don't want to bother with repairing it, and need the room in my shop. I have never had it under power, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. The previous owner had attempted a repair, and said that it ran ok, but I have my doubts!
    The machine itself is complete as far as I can tell. Everything is there, including a 3 jaw and dog driver. I DO NOT have a steady or follower rest however.
    As far as the damage goes, the apron casting is badly cracked, pieces are missing, and an attempt was made to weld it back together. The carriage handwheel is bent, as is the cross slide screw/handwheel. The QCGB tumbler lever is also damaged. I believe all the internal parts in both the QCGB and the apron are OK but I don't have them apart yet.
    Let me know of any specific parts you are looking for. I'll get pics and we can go from there.

dscn1603.jpgdscn1601.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PM sent. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received a question as to what style drive system my machine has. I'm not at all familiar with the specifics of these machines so I took a few pics, hope this helps. Let me know what else you would like me to show, and I can get more pics.

dscn1607.jpgdscn1606.jpgdscn1605.jpgdscn1604.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be interested in the 3 jaw depending price and condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oxford View Post
    I would be interested in the 3 jaw depending price and condition.
    PM sent, I'll be getting some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

taper attachment?
    -Marty-

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Feldman View Post
    taper attachment?
    -Marty-
    Sorry, I should have mentioned in my first post, the machine does not have a taper attachment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default still have any parts?

Derek, do you have any parts left?
    Would PM but site says yours is full.

Need large gear on input to gearbox and hydraulics on motor shaft.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Smalls View Post
    I have a Clausing 5909 lathe that I will be parting out. The lathe had tipped over at some point in it's past and has some major damage as a result. I bought it as a project a few years ago but now that I have other lathes I no longer need it, don't want to bother with repairing it, and need the room in my shop. I have never had it under power, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. The previous owner had attempted a repair, and said that it ran ok, but I have my doubts!
    The machine itself is complete as far as I can tell. Everything is there, including a 3 jaw and dog driver. I DO NOT have a steady or follower rest however.
    As far as the damage goes, the apron casting is badly cracked, pieces are missing, and an attempt was made to weld it back together. The carriage handwheel is bent, as is the cross slide screw/handwheel. The QCGB tumbler lever is also damaged. I believe all the internal parts in both the QCGB and the apron are OK but I don't have them apart yet.
    Let me know of any specific parts you are looking for. I'll get pics and we can go from there.

dscn1603.jpgdscn1601.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need a few parts for the cross slide and tool post part numbers 704-032 and 704-033 I can send photos of these parts if you have anything left.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received a question as to what style drive system my machine has. I'm not at all familiar with the specifics of these machines so I took a few pics, hope this helps. Let me know what else you would like me to show, and I can get more pics.

dscn1607.jpgdscn1606.jpgdscn1605.jpgdscn1604.jpg

That is the Clausing hydraulic variable speed drive, same as on the 5914.

Some models had step pulleys.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The machine itself is complete as far as I can tell. Everything is there, including a 3 jaw and dog driver.

dscn1603.jpgdscn1601.jpg

I'd be interested in the faceplate/dog driver. If the 3 jaw is still there, I'd be interested in that too (mainly for the backing plate).

Also, my 6316 needs to have the screw on the compound replaced....I don't know if the your lathe parts will match the 6300 series. I figure your compound got damaged in the fall, but I could use the screw as a master for making a new part. The one in my 6316 is a shop conglomeration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to all for not keeping up with this thread and replying sooner. Also, my mailbox can now accept messages so feel free to PM me.
    Many of the parts have been sold. This includes all chucks, face plates, complete saddle (including cross slide and compound), the sliding compound gear, thread dial, the L00 threaded ring which retains the chuck, complete QCGB, and the motor pulley with hydraulics.
    I do still have basically the complete head stock(all in good shape, including the spindle, bearings, and complete back gear assy.), the tail stock, apron(casting is cracked but internals seem good), most of the end gear train, and most of the small covers and odds and ends on the base including the two large belt and gear covers.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default tailstock

Sorry to all for not keeping up with this thread and replying sooner. Also, my mailbox can now accept messages so feel free to PM me.
    Many of the parts have been sold. This includes all chucks, face plates, complete saddle (including cross slide and compound), the sliding compound gear, thread dial, the L00 threaded ring which retains the chuck, complete QCGB, and the motor pulley with hydraulics.
    I do still have basically the complete head stock(all in good shape, including the spindle, bearings, and complete back gear assy.), the tail stock, apron(casting is cracked but internals seem good), most of the end gear train, and most of the small covers and odds and ends on the base including the two large belt and gear covers.
    Thanks.
    How much are you looking to get for the tailstock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by b54young View Post
    How much are you looking to get for the tailstock?
    PM sent.

To any others interested in parts, please send me a PM as well, in case I miss your post here. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sent you a PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi are parts for the lathe still for sale? I need a compound Gib for my 5914 if you have one

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, the compound is gone, along with the entire carriage, QCGB, all of the tooling, some of the back gear assy., and motor pulley and hydraulic unit.

I do still have the complete tail stock(which I would like to sell as a unit), some head stock parts including the spindle, bearings, some of the back gear assy., feed reverse tumbler, variable speed selector and master cylind), also, most of the guards and covers, the counter shaft, lead screw, and the motor(no hydraulic unit and pulley).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PM sent re covers. Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, the compound is gone, along with the entire carriage, QCGB, all of the tooling, some of the back gear assy., and motor pulley and hydraulic unit.

I do still have the complete tail stock(which I would like to sell as a unit), some head stock parts including the spindle, bearings, some of the back gear assy., feed reverse tumbler, variable speed selector and master cylind), also, most of the guards and covers, the counter shaft, lead screw, and the motor(no hydraulic unit and pulley).
    I'm a little late but was wondering if you still have a rear sliding gear assembly w/ handle that protrudes out of the rear cover. Thank Harv

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdutysteve View Post
    I'm a little late but was wondering if you still have a rear sliding gear assembly w/ handle that protrudes out of the rear cover. Thank Harv
    Sorry, the sliding gear has been sold. I do still have the quadrant arm, and the wide 75 tooth gear that is the final driven of that gear train, if that is any help.