What's new
What's new

FS South Bend Cross and Compound

adh2000

Titanium
I’d like to sell this South Bend cross slide and compound. Pictures tell the story, condition is good no rust compound works smooth. Unfortunately I’m not sure what size lathe this fits. Hopefully someone can chime in with more information. $150 plus shipping from 53186.
a5b36731d34762de752462207eedfc4e.jpg

cb5ee9bafbe82f14f7f480efbb98a48b.jpg

371360367f37472389b3711a96319960.jpg

235672f7fd1cfa049c5019bbac72fc58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

External cleaning and scale polishing will take 10-15 minutes. I don't know how well it works, but if it works fine, the price is more than fair. However, the value is in the eye of the beholder.

It looks like it came from an SB9A lathe.

It looks like it came from an SB9A lathe.

I had an SB9, my first lathe 35 years ago. Look at some pictures of an SB9 the compound looks right on but the cross slide is always one piece without the steps on the sides. This one I’ve got the cross slide is two pieces. Maybe this one is later, or earlier, someone knows.

The 3 - 3/8 inch width matches the one on my 10L.

Thanks for that. I looked online at many pics and the South Bend 10" lathes look to have the two piece cross slide with the side humps on the chip cover. So I guess that's it then, it's for a South Bend 10, 10L, Heavy 10. Are those all the same lathe? The 9" and 10" lathes share the same compound, apparently?

I believe it could also fit an 11" - at least it looks similar to my SB 11", which seems to share many components with the heavy 10.

The heavy 10 and 10L are one and the same. There was also a "light 10" known as a 10K.

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think the gib is missing from the cross slide, but if you had an end-on photo from the front, my guess is it would show the counterbore
where the gib adjustment screw goes.

Same with the compound - the single side setscrew is visible in one picture, that setscrew serves to lock the gib adjust screw. The
compound probably has the tapered gib in place.

I think the 11s have individual setscrews to set the crossfeed gib but don't quote me on that.

The 10Ks have an unusually tall compound base, I don't think this is a 10K. I could not see a part number on the castings but they
are probably there, and would nail it down for certain.

There is a man in the SB forum who is trying to build up a 10L where the entire set of crossfeed parts is missing. He might be interested
in this.

This does look like a heavy 10 compound, doesn’t show signs of crashes with a chuck. Very dirty. From my understanding is there was a SB 10R, SB 10K and a SB 10L.
The sb10L is a “heavy 10”, the SB10K is a “light 10” and the 10R is complicated.
They may share some individual parts but are different lathes with different compounds. This compound looks like it has the early small dials on it too

Yes I still have it. I’m out of town for a few days and can’t answer your question about a unit code until Wednesday.

Got it, thank you. I would be interested in purchasing just the compound assembly if you would be willing to split it from the cross slide. I have a Heavy 10, and the consensus seems to be that this from one.

Thanks but no I really don’t want to split. I’m not in the parts business and don’t think there’s a lot of demand for a cross slide. Just buy the whole thing and put whatever you don’t want on ebay.

Back