What's new
What's new

FS: Vintage Truck and Automotive machining equipment

Walter A

Titanium
Stuck these two on eBay to test the waters since it's time to start clearing out stuff I have been hanging on to just because. These were passed down to me thru family maybe first used by my Grandfather who used his machinist skills while moonlighting at night repairing trucks in NYC during the 1920s and 1930s.

I listed both on eBay last week for local pickup only. If someone in the group is interested let me know. In the meantime I'll see where eBay takes me.

Sawyer-Weber Tool Mfg. Crank-Pin Re-Turning Tool Model 1 S/N 490 Vintage Truck | eBay
Universal Tool Cylinder Reboring machine for DD-90 for Dodge Bros and others | eBay

UTCO or THE UNIVERSAL TOOL CO. incorporated. Only talking about the cylinder boring machine. It was quite the thing, boring out cylinders way out in the field- no electricity. It has a planetary drive which advances the lead screw while six cutting tools bore the cylinder. They used cones and sleeve rings. The cutters were ground so they all advanced the same by a cone adjustment. The location into the cylinder bore used those rings. All those empty sections had rings to fit different diameter of bores. There were different cone sizes mounted to the head to fit the corresponding rings. The rings were locating the head's cone as a pilot.

I had the same Weber Tool crank pin tool and it is now at the Model T Ford Cub of American museum in their machine shop display. I knew it would never get used in real life so I figured it should go where it would do the most good. Workmanship was fantastic on it- and it appeared to be in almost like new condition.

Sure. I like it all. Amazing workmanship in these tools. As a side bar, my first UTCO was a heavy affair. It originally had two boring heads and every ring and cones. It was an estate sale and somebody walked off with the small head. It would have been nice with the smaller bores of smaller tractors. They couldn't even use it properly but eff me.

I had the same Weber Tool crank pin tool and it is now at the Model T Ford Cub of American museum in their machine shop display. I knew it would never get used in real life so I figured it should go where it would do the most good. Workmanship was fantastic on it- and it appeared to be in almost like new condition.

Unfortunately the one I have was well used and appears to have been braze repaired to fix a break, crack or worn area. Not museum quality at all but still collectable and interesting. From the included assortment of cutters it's use was in a garage that saw many different engines. That has me wondering about my Grandfather's use as he mostly worked at night on Mack trucks. He passed away in 1974 and I never got around to asking him.

can you please explain how to use this tool the crank-pin turning tool.

From my look at one, or a similar tool, it's a cutting tool to re-establish circularity if the crank pin has been worn oval. The crank is mounted in the lathe on the crank centerline so the crank pins will be moving eccentrically. The tool is mounted on the pin in question so the long handle rests on the front edge of the chip pan to resist rotation. There's a graduated screw to advance the cutting edge and it just shaves off a little until it cuts all the way around. IIRC, the blade was full width so one would have to work carefully to avoid chatter. Also, it can't establish position of the crank pin from the crankshaft centerline so the crank throw may change.

In terms of remachining, one would much prefer an actual crank pin grinder, but this would have gotten an engine working again with undersized bearings if the only other alternative was to replace the crank completely.

Back