What's new
What's new

FS: Volstro Rotary Milling Head

Do you mean ER-25? That's what the pic looks like.

Steve
Not super positive on that Steve. Dimensionally, it's practically identical to the ER-25's I use on my CNC's. The only difference is the retaining groove. The collets with the Volstro don't have them.

The collet on the right is the style that comes with the Volstro:

Attachments

• Volstro 010.jpg
    Volstro 010.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 760
The only difference is the retaining groove. The collets with the Volstro don't have them.

Probably compatible to use ER in the volstro, but not to use the volstro collets in an ER chuck that needs the groove.

Gotta be better than finding B-3 collets for a Bridgeport cherrying head :-)

Steve

Interesting.

Here's a quote from there:
".. I have a milling head that takes E20 collets and by simply changing the nut for an ER20 one, ER20s fit perfectly. Have a look at the thread on the end of the old-style head, and if it's M22 x 1.5, you should be OK."

I'd probably check the taper with spotting paste to be sure, but that may be an option.

Steve

"E" collets were the precursor to "ER" collets. They originated---and are still made with slight revision by---Schaublin. They are designed to only be used on the nominal collet diameter. The current offering is designated "EX" by Schaublin. The difference in the new designation is the inclusion of the groove. Other than no collapsing function such as on "ER" collets, the dimensions and taper angles are the same. Schaublin claims the EX series offer highest concentricity. I would just switch the nut if the thread is the same and use ER's... less expensive and more prevalent.

andy, I may have what you want. There is no direct spindle mount for the drive. You put an internal splined adaptor into a toolholder. The input on the Volstro is splined to fit the adaptor. The mounting sleeve with it is currently bored 3 9/16, but the outside of the casting is 5 1/2", so there is plenty of meat to bore out to 4".

Hi gbent
Thanks I'm interested. I will pm you for more info. I have only seen the ones with the tooling shank type setup like R8 or #40nmtb.
Andy

FWIW, I have the Volstro III (#1203).
OM shows directions for R8 drive and splined drive, the latter uses a splined bushing that is placed in a toolholder or collet. The male splined drive mates with this. just like Gbent states.

Never mind the belt. I have the Volstro,have bought 3 of them over the years for me,my job,and my helper. The belt drive is WAY TOO FAST. I never use it. And NEVER use a cutter larger than 3/8" These units make jobs that would be very difficult with a rotary table much easier,but you must not push them hard at all. They cost about $3000.00 when Volstro went out of business.

So, lots of good information here, but no takers? :( I'm closing down my shop and need to clear some of these misc. items out.

Back