What's new
What's new

Gamet parts source?

Gos

Aluminum
Is there such a thing as a place to order replacement parts for Gamet boring / facing heads? One that I ordered off of EBay arrived today and is missing the pawl that advances the diameter adjustment under rotation, so it's useless for back facing.
Thanks in advance,
Gos

Gamet Bearings is part of the UK 600 Group. In the US, their HQ is in Kalamazoo, MI. You can find them by looking up Pratt Burnerd America or Clausing Industrial. Which is not to say they will have any old parts, but is a place to ask. And Gamet boring heads may be from a different company than Gamet Bearings.

Some years ago, I bought an Enco boring and facing head on eBay that looked just like the Enco made in France (Gamet) head I bought around 1978. But this one was marked Enco made in India. Don't know if India parts will fit a France head. But Enco is just a name on MSC catalogs now, so parts are probably not available there.

Larry

Not to be a jerk, but is this something you cannot make yourself..provided you can't find one from the manufacturer?

Stuart

Not to be a jerk, but is this something you cannot make yourself..provided you can't find one from the manufacturer?

Stuart

The part that's needed is not broken. It's been removed from a previous owner and is missing. No pattern to copy.

What is the size of the boring head. I have the 3" size that uses 3/4" shank boring bars. I can draw up the part needed if this is the correct size. If you have the parts list I need to know the item/part number so the correct part gets drawn up. Send me a PM if you want me to do this for you. Ken

Thanks for the offer. I'm waiting for a price list back from the current supplier of the current Gament copy.

If you have one of the Enco made in India clones..... run away. I bought one new from Enco. The fit and finish and the hardwood box was lovely. And that's where the love affair ended. The feed mechanism was awful; prone to wear and jamming.

IF you're on a budget, go find an older US or European piece, make parts not repairs!

smt_boringGamet1.jpg

smt_boringGamet2.jpg

smt_boringGamet3.jpg

smt_boringGamet4.jpg

Mine was Gamet France. Rugged. Lot of extension/depth from spindle nose for the size. (compared to Wohlhaupter, say.) IIRC the travels is pretty good, though.

Pics won't tell you how to make the part, but maybe will be informative if the other guy provides dimensions.
Pieces should be hardened, but might not make a difference for occasional use. Otherwise i'd use 4140 prehard. Thinking about it, aluminum bronze might even be good for the plunger body.

Good luck!

smt

Last edited:
That's the critter.
I'm missing the plunger and spring assembly.
I learned on the "france" model back in the 70's, so I'm comfortable with trying to salvage this one.
Still waiting on the parts contact to return an email. Buying parts sure is not what it used to be! Seems everyone is either out of the office, or trying to sell new assemblies not the parts to replace them.

Back