What's new
What's new

granite 48 x 96 x 15 Mitutoyo

Ken hosford

Cast Iron
base from large CMM Stupid heavy 10000 lbs has been stored outside some mistreatment evident $1500 buy responsible for arranging loading and trucking located in Dexter Michigan

Attachments

• granite.jpg
    granite.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 208
I saw a guy buy one about this size for $50 at auction. Later he showed up with a single axle trailer and a come a long. Just blew his mind that solid rock could be that heavy, maybe moreso, why anyone would possibly make a table so heavy you couldn't move it without specialized equipment.

Without a current calibration, any granite surface plate/table/CMM base is just a lump of rock. With the current calibraion, they're vauable. Without, not so much. Sad, but true.

I saw a guy buy one about this size for $50 at auction. Later he showed up with a single axle trailer and a come a long. Just blew his mind that solid rock could be that heavy, maybe moreso, why anyone would possibly make a table so heavy you couldn't move it without specialized equipment.

Uh-oh! There must be two of us, but I had a tandem axle that barely did it. Mine was complete with three axis readouts. In the paperwork that came with mine there was a receipt from a machinery dealer where the guy paid $50,000! cmm.jpg
Check out this link!
Brown & Sharp Validator CMM Machine - BTM Industrial

Yeah, seems that a lot of early CMM's got scrapped out when either software and controls became too out of date, or more automation and "smarts" was needs in the metrology lab. I've seen some pretty good size tables (like 10 x 6 foot, 20 inch thick) go for low bucks. I'd love something like that for mounting some micro-precision table-top mills to for isolation.

I was thinking a plate like that would make a bitchen patio table. Don't have to worry about it blowing away, getting stolen, insects, etc. Unfortunately tour looking at a good $2k to move it.

Back