What's new
What's new

Grind shop equipment

Illinoyance

Stainless
Riverview Surplus, 5230 River Drive, Moline, IL just got in 4 large tubs of tooling that came from a grind shop at Rock Island Arsenal. There is at least 1 complete workhead 50 taper on one end and probably some kind of B&S on the other. There are 2 partial workheads similar to the one described but missing the base and angle plate. There is a boxed set of index plates I would guess to be 8" dia and 1/2" thick. There is some 50 NMTBA tooling and various B&S tools. There is a powered rotary table with what appears to be a mag chuck. There is a lot of stuff I don't recognize.

If any members are interested in that kind of stuff I suggest paying them a visit. It would be a good idea to call first. 309-797-9400. The owner is Schulze Belmyr. He is a long time friend of mine and treats his customers fairly. I have no financial interest in selling any of this stuff. I do hope somebody buys stuff of the top layer so I can see what is underneath.

Yes. Can't promise for tomorrow but soon. PM your e-mail. I never loaded pix to the forum. I will e-mail you the pix and try to get some dimensions.

The index plates are 7" OD, 1/2" thick. There is a raised hub 2 1/4" diameter and 1 1/16" through the the bore. Bore is 1 1/2" with a keyway. Measurements taken with a steel rule. Index notches on the periphery appear to be slightly canted.
Box 1 is marked 4,6,7,8,9,10
Box 2 is marked 20,22,24,30,10,18
Box 3 is marked 6,8,10,12,18
Box 4 is marked 11,12,13,14,15,16
I did not pull individual plates to see if their stamped numbers matched painted numbers on the box.

I also discovered a case of Engis diamond dresser blocks plus another box of dresser blocks. All appear to be in good to excellent condition.

Pix will be available after my phone recharges.

I just spent an hour trying to upload pix. Screw it. If you want pix PM me with your e-mail address.

How the hell did that picture get there?

Attachments

• 2020-12-03 10-47-39.jpg
    2020-12-03 10-47-39.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 133
Not for a super spacer. Slots are angled. fits on 1 1/2 keyed shaft. PM me your e-mail and I will send pix.

I just spent an hour trying to upload pix. Screw it. If you want pix PM me with your e-mail address.

How the hell did that picture get there?

Did this shop have a 1960s era Agathon or Walters?
One (the NC) pulled the ratchet/shotpin, move and then back in for next index lock. Slip clutches were used.
I have many that look like this but not at this high of count. Gear making?

John sent me a link to a folder that had the rest of the pictures. Here are the first five, the rest to follow: i didn't include the pics that were already shown.

2020-12-03 11-14-49.jpg 2020-12-03 11-15-47.jpg

2020-12-03 11-16-05.jpg 2020-12-03 11-26-47.jpg

2020-12-03 11-27-08.jpg

I think I figured out what this is for:hollow grinding the faces of a saw blade.

Re: single pic from Eric Kretz.

I also found boxes of collets that look like TG. They are on the bottom so I couldn't get an idea of the quantity.

Gotta love the gov!. Anyway, the index plates are as I suspected- they are for a Barber Colman Gear Hob grinder. These are the smaller diameter plates used on the smaller grinders. A hob grinder is useless without them.

Back