What's new
What's new

Hardinge Crossslide and Compound model DSC for sale

nc5a

Cast Iron
This is used but in very good condition. I bought it years ago for a fixture plate jig but never used it. $450 plus shipping.
09-IMG_5773.JPG10-IMG_5774.jpg16-IMG_5780.JPG02-IMG_5766.jpg03-IMG_5767.jpg

Just a warning about shipping these. I have several of them and have more experience than I wanted at repairing them after they were damaged in shipping.

The crank handles get bent out of shape and that usually leads to the ends of the feed screws breaking off. So don't put it in a large flat rate box with bubble wrap and hope it survives. Remove the two cranks and use solid wood blocks and plywood to keep the slide rest positioned away from the sides of the box. Protect the ends of the feed screws.

I will pay $450 plus shipping and insurance if the shipping is by large flat rate with appropriate packing with $500 insurance. I do not want any more repair experience.

Larry

Goslin DSC damage 3.jpg Hardinge slide rest 19Jan06.JPG

Sold pending payment and shipping arrangements.

Ron

Just a warning about shipping these. I have several of them and have more experience than I wanted at repairing them after they were damaged in shipping.

The crank handles get bent out of shape and that usually leads to the ends of the feed screws breaking off. So don't put it in a large flat rate box with bubble wrap and hope it survives. Remove the two cranks and use solid wood blocks and plywood to keep the slide rest positioned away from the sides of the box. Protect the ends of the feed screws.

I will pay $450 plus shipping and insurance if the shipping is by large flat rate with appropriate packing with $500 insurance. I do not want any more repair experience.

Larry

View attachment 279544 View attachment 279545

Sold pending payment and shipping arrangements.

Ron

Ron accepted the $400 offer in a private message to me, but then wrote a second PM to me accepting my $450 offer. In fairness to [email protected], who replied first, I will let those two work out the deal for $400 and withdraw my offer.

Ron's mailbox is full and he did not provide his email address, even though I had given him mine. So I cannot send him a PM and have to reply in this post.

I believe that there is room in a large flat rate box for a Hardinge slide rest, fastened to a square of plywood and held in place with wood blocks and a top layer of plywood. I would line the four sides with more plywood. Then I would use glass filament tape all three ways around the outside of the box to keep the cardboard intact. The flat rate box is not strong enough without the wood liner, but it can easily survive if done right. The cheap shipping for up to 70 pounds, even from Alaska, makes it worthwhile to ship flat rate.

Larry

Gentlemen, sorry for the confusion and having a full mail box. Mail box is cleared now.

In the interest of full disclosure I answered L Vanice's PM based on Roberbolts post by mistake. This was clearly my mistake so $400 + shipping is the price If either of you are still interested let me know.
Ron

Gentlemen, sorry for the confusion and having a full mail box. Mail box is cleared now.

In the interest of full disclosure I answered L Vanice's PM based on Roberbolts post by mistake. This was clearly my mistake so $400 + shipping is the price If either of you are still interested let me know.
Ron

Yer a mensch.

Couldn't be more fair than to divide it equally and not even charge for the coldsaw work..

Aww man, more questions than answers... Cut it accross or lengthwise? ;)

Long-axis of travel, of course.

Easier to fab a full-length dovetail with an example in front of you than to patch TWO to make it long again!

NB: As with Solomon and the proverbial baby, whichever applicant has the most respect for the provenance of the goods will back out in favour of the other.

Or Larry will. But mainly because he has three of everything Hardinge ever made, and half of each of several things they disowned - or simply forgot they ever made, already! Might even already have the matching half to a cold-sawed slide?

:D

But mainly because he has three of everything Hardinge ever made, and half of each of several things they disowned - or simply forgot they ever made, already! Might even already have the matching half to a cold-sawed slide?

:D
"West Elmira" Indiana.....:D

Long-axis of travel, of course.

No no no.

You give one person the cross-slide parts, and the other person the longitudinal slide parts. They separate
quite neatly.

Interestingly my kid is moving to indiana. Might be a chance to get closer to the mother load of hardinge stuff.....

I've shipped several (like five or six) cross slides like that with good results using dense packing foam (one of them to Larry).

You can cut the foam form-fit to the shape of the unit, and position it so that even on impact, the shafts will never come near the outside of the box.

The foam I used was used for sending computer equipment.

Steve

I've successfully mailed several of these (I think even one to Larry).

I use dense foam that they use for shipping large servers. It's a lot denser than your typical foam rubber. I cut it to shape so that the foam is basically a block the size of the flat-rate box with a void inside the shape of the slide rest. Handles are all removed.

Never had a problem.

Steve

I've successfully mailed several of these (I think even one to Larry).

I use dense foam that they use for shipping large servers. It's a lot denser than your typical foam rubber. I cut it to shape so that the foam is basically a block the size of the flat-rate box with a void inside the shape of the slide rest. Handles are all removed.

Never had a problem.

Steve

I love to use that hard foam for packing. But I have run out of it and have to use chunks of wood until someone sends me a package with some more of that foam. Soft foam rubber is useless for packing heavy stuff.

Larry

Soft foam rubber is useless for packing heavy stuff.
Even more useless (can you comparative an absolute?) are Styrofoam or blown cornstarch peanuts. I don't know why people even bother with that stuff when shipping chunks of steel or cast iron. They are useful only for stuff that's not much denser than the peanuts themselves.

Back