What's new
What's new

help needed ID'ing a large kennametal twin head tool and an even larger ?? tool

mattthemuppet

Stainless
hi all,

my issues with scale bit me on the ass again at a couple of online auctions. I really wish they'd put a can of coke in the pictures :)

anyway, ended up with a bunch of way bigger stuff than I expected (3 3/4 - 8 tap anyone?) but I'm struggling to ID a couple of the pieces, so I'd much appreciate any help.

First up, a Capto C8 twin head tool (rough boring?) with 2 Kennametal H32MCLNL6 CNMG heads on it
IMG_20211124_183240.jpg
IMG_20211124_183544.jpg
IMG_20211124_183138.jpg
IMG_20211124_183807.jpg
IMG_20211124_183157.jpg

I don't understand what you are asking, as you have already identified the boring bar. Purpose built for a specific job with a specific length and diameter. At a previous shop we used to make specials like that whenever the length of time to make the boring bar was less than the time it would save in the machine.

I didn't realize that the twin head cutter was a special, thanks for that.

What's the big thing with the key and four bolts at the bottom (2nd post)? I have no idea what that is or what type of machine it would be used on.

The connection/interface at the back would have been my #1 picture. The rest of it seems self explanatory like Gbent stated.

That looks like tooling from a large VTL is my thoughts.

Matt, If your getting this stuff here in Texas, I might be able to help you ID some of it. PM me if you want my help. Ken

Matt, If your getting this stuff here in Texas, I might be able to help you ID some of it. PM me if you want my help. Ken

Or turret lathe tooling. We had some similar turret lathe tooling that came in with a Gisholt from another plant.
JH

There is nothing more than I hate that auction people buying stuff they have no idea on.
Bottom feeders hoping to find a holy grail.

It's Capitalism at its finest. Would you prefer nobody bids and the stuff goes to the melting pot? This way, at least there's a chance the machine parts will find a user.

[And on the list of things to hate, it's much lower that stubbing your toe on a table leg in the dark. Dang, that hurts...]

The connection/interface at the back would have been my #1 picture. The rest of it seems self explanatory like Gbent stated.

good point. It's a bit unwieldy so I was lazy :) These help? The key is 3/4" wide
IMG_20211128_140420.jpg
IMG_20211128_140601.jpg

I also found out why I was so wiped out after the pickup, just this alone is 90lb :D

thanks Ken, that would be a great help and much appreciated. All this came out of a couple of plants in Houston that were consolidating.

Or turret lathe tooling. We had some similar turret lathe tooling that came in with a Gisholt from another plant.
JH

Pretty sure the tool blocks and the chuck jaws came off of a couple of DMG Mori turret lathes. The guy helping me load my stuff said something about a 600 series and a slant turn (SL65?).

There is nothing more than I hate that auction people buying stuff they have no idea on.
Bottom feeders hoping to find a holy grail.

that's a bit harsh. These would have gone in the scrap dumpster outside if they hadn't sold, according to the auctioneer when I picked up the stuff. And besides, this is how I generate a little extra income to make up for not having had a pay rise for the last 5 years thanks to the State of Texas.

The bottom feeder comment did make me smile though, as that's how I describe myself :)

that's a bit harsh. These would have gone in the scrap dumpster outside if they hadn't sold, according to the auctioneer when I picked up the stuff. And besides, this is how I generate a little extra income to make up for not having had a pay rise for the last 5 years thanks to the State of Texas.
I agree the comment a bit harsh and apologize.:dopeslap:
A fast gut reaction to the many "tell me what this is so that I can sell it on E-yuck".
My bad. I will now go behind the woodshed for my deserved whipping.
Bob

no worries and no apologies needed. You're not off base in the "what is this so I can sell it front" assessment, as that's pretty much what I'm doing. I try to avoid that kind of stuff as I can see how it can be annoying, but in this case I didn't have the slightest clue where to start as this is waaaaay out of my wheelhouse. I do appreciate all the pointers and hopefully I can get this to someone who can use it (and out of my garage) and make a little bit of spending money in the process.

Shipping is going to be a bitch though.

Those were definitely BIG machines that tooling came off of. I don't recall tool holders bolting on from the back side on DMG-Mori machines. The tooling I've seen bolted on from the front and the keyways are metric. 3/4" may actually be 19mm.

Back