What's new

WTB South Bend Brand Collet Closer Or Collet Draw Bar For South Bend 13"

• Thread starter rkrecak
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 1,398
R

rkrecak

Hi, I'm looking for a 5C collet closer or a 5C collet draw bar for a south bend 13" lathe with a d1-4 spindle. I would like the original south bend parts, no after market stuff.

Bob

Collet Closer Or Collet Drawbar

Lever or handwheel?

Am looking for either a collet closer (lever operated) or a collet draw bar (handwheel with tube) for a 13" SB lathe, d1-4 spindle.

Bob

Hello Bob

I went through the same dilemma as you about a year ago. If you dont have a bunch of 5c collets already I would go with a different set up. Instead of buying or trying to grind a nose adapter then getting lucky enough to find an original southbend collet assembly for $$$$$ you would be better off buying a hardinge speed collet chuck in either 5c or 2J. The nice thing about 2J is that you can chuck larger stock than 5c. I also heard that it holds tighter but I have never done a test to tell or not. On the other hand 5c collets are more popular and therefore inexpensive.
I purchased a 2J collet chuck and couldn't be happier. It is very accurate and easy to change collets. It also lets the back end of my spindle to remain open to use long stock or indexing attachments. What kind of spindle do you have? D1-4 or threaded?

The D14 spindles use a smaller face nose adapter than the standard ones for the threaded spindles
Reason being is the spindle protector that was offered had a smaller hole
I think because of the draw studs being there, not sure but I’ve been there many times

Back