What's new
What's new

I asked this before but can't find the thread

TimH

Hot Rolled
Does anyone know what machine this is for? Approx value ( to someone that needs it :-) )?

Attachments

• IMG_20190418_201053322.jpg
    IMG_20190418_201053322.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20190418_200950786.jpg
    IMG_20190418_200950786.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 269
It’s a turret for a certain lathe. I paid $150 for one a while back that was much cleaner. They are mostly machine specific.

to someone that needs it
No one will know they need it until you post every possible dimension that relates to having it fit on a particular lathe bed.

Then they have to know how high the bores are in that turret in relation to that particular lathe bed

Then it would be nice to know the dia. of the bores - that is where the cutting tools go.

The giant (appearing) hand knob suggests it is for quite a small lathe

I expect that the shipping costs would be significantly higher than the selling price.
Take at least also a end-view picture, so that one can see for what type of ways it was originally made.
Try cycling the turret back and forth (after oiling everything) to verify that both the tool head and the stops cycle automatically each time you retract it.

These are important info for somebody looking for a project. In any case, unless you find somebody interested in that specific turret, I don't think anybody would be willing to adventure more than $120-150 in a risky project, including shipping.

Paolo

Since you don't know what brand lathe it goes to the best way to find its value is to take a bunch of good photos. Show all of the dimensions either by a rough drawing or by including a ruler in the photos. Then list it as a turret attachment on Ebay for Atlas, South Bend, Clausing,Logan, and any other small lathe maker that you can think of. Start the bidding at a dollar and let it go.

Or you can head over to Vintage Machinery and post some photos. Some one there might have an idea what it goes to. There are also PDFs of catalogs on their site that you could look through to try and find out who manufactured it. You might get more money for it that way but you'll have to be willing to spend the time doing the research. Personally I would just go with the first option and get it gone as quickly as I could.

Back