What's new
What's new

inherited lot of end mills, lathe tooling, and machinist stuff

mackerel

Plastic
Hi,
I inherited a large lot of end mills, lathe tooling, and misc machinist stuff from a neighbor (link to a folder of pictures below) . I am looking for recommendations on the best way to sell these items. One big lot on eBay? Anything I should specifically take out and sell on its own? Should I categorize items and sell multiple different lots? Is ebay best? Thanks.

Link to google drive folder of photos:
302 Moved

You should separate the lathe bits from the end mills. Also probably easier to sell in smallish lots of 10-20 pcs each lot. Depending on how many duplicate sizes you have an assortment of sizes in a lot might help out home shop guys.
When you ship them - especially the end mills - be sure to wrap them so they dont touch each other. Just a few layers of newsprint is good enough if wrapped up tight.

I would add that the lathe cutters should probably be grouped by size and if you can give each lot an assortment of left, right, center, etc cutters. Unlike the endmills where a variety of sizes might sell better. Generally 2 flute is for aluminum and 4 flute is for steel. Not sure if it is good to have 2 and 4 flute in the same lot, probably so for home shop use.

This stuff is going to appeal mostly to hobby guys, so market it as such.

As Rob says, sort the lathe cutters by size.

Guys that can use 3/8" and 1/2" bits generally aren't all that interested in 1/4" bits (yes, some are, but not most) and guys running a Sherline or Atlas 618 need 1/4" bits and can't use 1/2" bits.

It's really annoying when I see a collection of insert tooling with shank sizes ranging from 1/2" to 1-1/4" - there's no pretty much machine tool out there that needs all those. You will get guys bidding on the large stuff who consider the small stuff throw-away or the other way around. You don't want bidders only interested in half the lot.

I would also sort out all the ones that have not been ground into shapes at all. New, unground ones will go for a premium.

If there is a name on the side, be sure to include that. There are people that look for brands like MoMax and RexAA.

Assortments on the end mills is good advice as well. Many hobby guys need a bunch of different sizes / styles, whereas in a professional job shop, a guy may have a job coming up that will need 50 identical 1/2" 2-flute end mills. That's why you see large lots of all the same size drill bit selling on ebay - someone has a job for them.

I would also look at them and chuck anything that is broken. If you see that some are worn, put them in a lot together and say that. Guys who do woodworking will buy them because a worn HSS end mill is still usable on wood (I sold about 20 lbs of used HSS to a woodworker).

Steve

All this sorting into this or that a huge task for inherited and not a machinist.
Instructions to the the wife is do no bother. Take 100 or 200 dollars. Yes she will leave many thousands on the table but she can't sell it there.
It is unfortunate but a penny on the dollar and we cry but is good money with theses things.
Bob

Is there a different lot shown in each photo, or is it just one or two batches shown different ways?

The bad news is that big boxes of HSS lathe toolbits come around all the time and don't bring much. And end mills that aren't protected in tubes are generally dull, and thus don't bring much either.

If I were you I'd look for a nonprofit group that you can donate the lot to, and write it off as a donation at tax time.

metalmagpie

I'm often in nj (10566) and would like to make an offer on a subset of the tooling. Could eliminate shipping charges. But no longer for sale (?).

Back