What's new
What's new

Injection mold insulating material.

whamac

Aluminum
This is a bit unrelated to machining, but not completely.

I've been liquidating my machine shop equipment and tools for some time now.
While cleaning out a storage area the other day so I can move out an old Arburg molding machine, I came across this sheet of mold base insulating material.

I can't recall the name of this stuff, where I ordered it from, or the manufacturer's name.
It's a fiberglass type of material; and in this case, it's 5/16" thick by 38" by 52".

Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks!

[email protected]

Attachments

• Mold insulation.jpg
    Mold insulation.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 43
Good chance that's G10/FR4:

McMaster-Carr

Definitely not that; I've worked with G10/FR4 a lot.

This stuff is more coarse.
I bought it to machine a batch of part-holding fixtures for Honeywell, 20+ years ago.
Also used some similar stuff, but green; more coarse than the blue, and even messier to work with. Just can't vacuum all of that dust.

Definitely not that; I've worked with G10/FR4 a lot.

This stuff is more coarse.
I bought it to machine a batch of part-holding fixtures for Honeywell, 20+ years ago.
Also used some similar stuff, but green; more coarse than the blue, and even messier to work with. Just can't vacuum all of that dust.

Wife is telling me that Honeywell provided the material; I didn't buy it.

How's she remember more about one of my decades-old orders, than I do?? Something isn't right.. lol

I've also done a lot of G10, if it's a courser* weave it may just be a variant of the epoxy/fiberglass composite. But without having the material in my hands, it's just guesses...

*Argh!! I keep doing that! It's "coarser", dum-dum...

Back