What's new
What's new

FS: Jacobs Rubberflex collet chuck in D1-8

W_Higgins

Hot Rolled
Very nice, complete, collet chuck set-up with factory D1-8 mounting plate. Asking $175 obo, + shipping (estimate shipping will run $25 depending on location.

Please email (no p.m.'s) machineman2960 {at} yahoo.com or post to thread. Thanks!

2 1/4-8 is just a standard threaded spindle common to South Bend's, isn't it? I'm not familiar with the H10 part.

I suppose if you had an adapter plate to go from a threaded nose to D1-8 camlock, though I've never seen such an animal. Maybe post on the S.B. section of the forum to see if anyone has experience with such an adaptation.

What swing is your lathe?

That is a steal.

Doesn't the camlock backplate unbolt? Then a 2 1/4-8 backplate could be mounted for use on the SB.

That adapter should unbolt, the chuck must be disassembled to get to the bolts. The chuck has an A6 mount, an adapter could be made to match the A6's internal taper. Or if the adapter isn't hardened, it's thick enough and it's through hole is small enough it could be modified into a 2-1/4 8 adapter.

JR

Heavy 10 is what I meant by H10.

Ah yes -- stupid on my part.

I'll have to measure the diameter of the chuck when I make it to the shop today. I'm not sure that you even have enough swing for it.

This Link that Mikel Levy provided in his video thread shows how the unit breaks down. I think to change the back of the chuck that you'll actually need another Jacobs back in the configuration you're looking for as it is part of the chuck itself, though I suppose it's possible to remove the pins and mount an adapter plate if the existing plate isn't hardened.

Over all dia should be 9" so it should fit, I have a 91-A6 that was slated for my 10" Logan (1 1/2-8). However I picked up an 11 headstock which is 2 1/4-8 so mounting is on hold until that gets done. The original sell sheet shows a rough machined adapter plate that was available to mount the A6 to a threaded spindle but I've never seen one FS anywhere.

JR

Someone should correct me on this if I'm wrong, but if this model chuck is used on a threaded spindle, it seems to me that the threaded adapter should have some kind of collar that clamps the chuck firmly to the spindle threads. Otherwise, the impact blows that tighten the workpiece in the collet may also serve to make the chuck even tighter on the spindle, making it difficult to remove the chuck later.

Mike

You make an interesting point, Mike. I think in the case of the fellow with the South Bend, he would probably be better off just getting S.B. tooling for a collet set-up, if for one as small as a 10" they offer the same stuff that I had for my 16" that I sold recently.

I just put a Hardinge 5C speed chuck on my SB9. First time I used it I came to the problem that there really was nothing to grab to unscrew it. After I had a good laugh I took the backplate off and put some countersinks in the back of of the backplate for a pin style spanner wrench. Works good now.

W_Higgins,
Are you sure that it is D1-8? Looks a lot like the size of my D1-6. The mounting flange on mine is about 7" in diameter and the mounting pins are 7/8".
I never thought to check the p/n on mine.

For all those people asking about the adaptability to smaller size machines, my experience is that a series 900 Jacobs rubber flex chuck is a much more appropriate size.
I had one on my former SB-9 and used it often. That model chuck has a bolted on adaptor, so that whatever you saw advertised for sale you could make your own plate for.

These 91 series chucks generally have an integral mount and short of making an adaptor (ie 1 1/2x8 to d1-?) it would be difficult to mount. These are also about 8-9 inches diameter, where as the others are more like 6" dia.

There is a copy of the manual for these chucks on the Nemes site, although I couldn't find the link to it just now.

Cheers
Pete

W_Higgins,
Are you sure that it is D1-8? Looks a lot like the size of my D1-6. The mounting flange on mine is about 7" in diameter and the mounting pins are 7/8".

Very much so. I bought it for my Series 60 Monarch, which has a D1-6 spindle. This is larger and fits the pin size and spacing specs for D1-8 given in Machinery's Handbook. See how the skirt flares out on the mounting plate? Other Jacobs chucks you see for D1-6 don't do that.

I'm trying to figure out what I would gain by putting an offer on this. I'm not being rude, and I prefer collet pad set ups on cnc equipment. Are these typically used on secondary ops?? Better easier set up to minimize run out?? How well do they clamp on stock?? These could be dumb questions, but I don't know since I've never seen or used one.

What size range of parts could you hold from the smallest to largest collet?

I have to check, I think my 17" clausing has the proper spindle for this.

Rosie

The 91A6 part number designates an integral A6 mount. The D1-8 mount is an adapter that is bolted on and is removeable by dismantling the chuck. I have the same chuck with a 2-1/4-8 mount adapted to it. The A6 mount is is deep enough to permit the threaded portion of the backplate to be partially inside of the chuck, making for a slim mount with minimal overhang.

P1060679.jpg

It is a nice setup and offered at an attractive price considering the collets are included.

Size range is 1/16"-1-3/8".

Back