What's new
What's new

Key for Union machinist tool chest

Nella

Plastic
I have a Union machinist tool chest model BB(about 100 yrs. old) that came with no key, it has a round lock in the front cover and the lock has the number 36 stamped in the lock. I think the name of the lock is Sargent&Greenleaf. I'm looking for a key. Can anyone tell me where I can find one?
Thank's, Nella

Hi Nella,
My Union box is about 20.5" wide, and the back side of its lock is stamped with "1-J-37". I believe this indicates a manufacture date of June 1 1937. Here is a picture of the key which came with it:

Union Key.jpg

Hope this is of help,
... Gregg

I'm no help with this specific lock/tool chest, but if it was me, I'd pass it on to a decent lock-smith. Earlier this month I had a local locksmith cut some keys for the OEM cabinet locks under our South Bend heavy 10, and to analyze them and cut 2 keys (with no keys to go off of) he only charged about $50, which I thought was fair for his time.

He seems excited for the challenges I bring in his door and is currently working on the locks for a Gerstner, a couple Kennedy's with older locks, and a Star/Union (not sure).

Back