What's new
What's new

L&S 16" steady rest F/S or trade

woodsrider845

Hot Rolled
As stated, Lodge & Shipley 16" steady rest. Looking for monarch 14" or Sidney 14" steady rest, or L01 backplate.

Entertaining interesting trades.

woodsrider,
I have a Monarch CK Steady Rest For Sale. Not in the best of condition but very usable. You can see in the one pic an area that is chipped out by one of the adjustment knobs. Seem to work okay but looks bad. Shows some usual wear on the tips. Comes with original clamp. 200+ shipping.
spaeth
DSCN2734.jpgDSCN2737.jpgDSCN2739.jpgDSCN2735.jpg

woodsrider,
Measures 7" from flat to hinge split. I thought CK's
were all 14", does this make this one for a 12" Machine?
spaeth

That's for a 14"? 8" from the bottom of the flat to the hinge split?

High probability. See "trade size".

10EE's nominal 10" clears 12.5" "actual". Stamped right on their data plates.

Cazeneuve "360" metrifuckated "center height" is a nominal 14" that falls just a skosh clear of 16" at the inner edge of its ways. I mought could use your one, relatively minor base modifications, if I didn't already have the OEM Cazeneuve steady, for example.

Basically, yah gots to measure yer spindle with a DC in it above the SAME vee and flat any given steady utilizes.

Or could be MADE to do, given that steady's "in general" are not all THAT hard to modify. Nor fab from scratch.

"Travel" rests are the goods as tend to be harder to DIY, brain-sweat-wise as to sorting shape and where and how to attach.

Last time I looked, PM threads had fotos of FIVE different travel-rest styles for the Monarch 10EE alone. Not DIY's, either. Monarch built or one of the "usual suspects" for regular buy-in of respected third-party goods.

Anyone with access to a mill - or who could gin-up a baseplate with an ignorant hacksaw, would not be taking much of a risk to adopt an "alien" steady, any lathe from about an inch LESS swing to four inches GREATER.

Yah can line 'em up "manually" with crude methods even with no mating Vee way, because... once shimmed, blocked, and locked-down, they don't have to "traverse" like the carriage once put to work, nor is there meant to be any "twisting" force on 'em, nor even MUCH torque. Just basic gravity, and a bit of cutting-force deflection, mostly.

Providing... of course... that the lathe-hand ain't being any more foolish-optimistic than "normal" at ripping record-breaking chip!

:D

I'd be interested in the L&S steady if it's not already spoken for - I have a 16" L&S sitting lonely in my garage...

I'll check my stash - I know i had an L1 backplate, but can't remember if it sold or not. If I don't have one, I'd be interested in purchasing

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Essential to know WHAT 16" L&S (1893 or 1969?) or maybe something in between:D

Possibly same vintage as the back plate for sale by same party - teens to early thirties

Thanks to Mike C for 1916 scan

L&Spg28.jpg

woodsrider,
I have another Monarch Steady Rest that measures 8" from flat to hinge split. Very Nice Condition! See Pics. This one is a bit more expensive having no issues and showing very little wear. 375.00+ shipping
spaeth
DSCN2716.jpgDSCN2719.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2720.jpg
    DSCN2720.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN2717.jpg
    DSCN2717.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 25
Unfortunately, that won't even sit on my bed. Too narrow. From the center of the V, to the center of my lathe, is around 4.5". That one would be off center, and wouldn't even reach the flat.
Thanks, though. I would have taken it.

Yup, 1924 and still going strong :) just needs new headstock bearings or bearing liners.

The backplate would be very nice! I still need to get around to making your brake liner contraption to get my old chuck backplate off. My first attempt shattered before the backplate showed any sign of budging...

Lee

I'm still interested in buying both the steady and the backplate. I don't have the L1 backplate any longer, so please let me know what you'd like for them, either here or by PM.
Thanks
Lee

Hi woodsrider,

I dug through my rathole, and found an 8" L1 backplate. It's currently sitting in evaporust to get it cleaned up. Let me know if you're still interested in a trade, and I'll shoot some pictures across tomorrow when it comes out of the bucket.

Thanks

Lee

Back