What's new
What's new

Large lot of Etalon metric micrometers

mTeryk

Hot Rolled
This is a pallet of Etalon Metric Micrometers for sale by our community college. Somewhere around 30 in the lot from 75-300mm, including 3 indicating micrometers. They were donated from another program and we have no need for them. Many/most are unused but have been sitting for many years. The foam in the boxes is turning to powder, a few have surface rust and some are seized but would likely come around with a little oil.

This could be a money maker for someone who wants to put a little work into them and resell them. The school has a policy of not shipping items sold at public auction which is why they are being sold as a lot. I think they would bring a lot more sold individually but that would likely mean shipping them. They will need to be picked up from the school which is in Albany Oregon.

If someone wants to bid on them but is unable to get them within 10 days, I may be able to take them home and store them for a bit until they can be retrieved.

Public Surplus: Auction #2231241

Teryk

IMG_20181114_110241291.jpg
IMG_20181114_113653133.jpgIMG_20181114_114745182.jpg

This is a pallet of Etalon Metric Micrometers for sale by our community college.
This is insane. Those are the finest micrometers on the planet, the fact that any would get to be in bad condition is shameful, and any "college" that treats its equipment this badly should be decertified, the instructors sent to the coal mines, and the management pilloried.

To sell them for fifty bucks because thse assholes don't have a clue, disgusting. Measurement of parts is THE basic skill for a machinist and there's nothing better to use than Etalon. Nothing.

This is a great opportunity for some shop here adn thank you for the headsup post, OP, but I am still appalled.

They really aren't in that bad of shape, nor have they been abused. They have sat on a shelf unused for probably a decade or more. Most wrapped in plastic. Surface rust is pretty minor and only on a couple of the sets. As I wrote, they came from another department, possibly another school, long before any of the current teaching staff were here. We have a fresh teaching staff and we are trying to clean up decades of stuff that is just taking up space unused.

The main crime is somebody spent the money on something that isn't needed or used. We teach fundamental machining skills. We keep the parts small because our machines are smaller and we can keep tooling and material expenses down. We don't often need to measure 300mm parts with a micrometer and we have the measuring tools to do so when we do have to. We certainly don't need the indicating micrometers. It would be a great opportunity for a shop to get a bunch of tools for cheap or someone to buy the lot and sell them. I hope the auction gets a bit more attention because it does seem a crime for them to be going so cheap.

Teryk

Back