What's new
What's new

Looking for Oil Seal for VN Arbor Support lubrication pump

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,

Have a 60+ year old VN 22LU arbor support, which has an integral push button
oil pump from a reservoir. The push button is sealed with an oil seal.

The original seal was a Garlock, labelled "Garlock Part 5". This has an OD of .750",
an ID of .311", and a thickness of ~.250", though the thickness isn't super critical.

VN oil seal - 1.jpg

The closest Garlock product i can find out is a 63x0005 seal, but these are made
to order with minimum quantity of 15 parts... I need one only.

I've looked around and found some SKF seals at McMaster, tried them, but doesn't retain
the oil well and doesn't have a steel outer face like the original Garlock seal.

Anyone have a good source for such things?

Thanks,
Phil

The only identifying # on it is: Part 5? Nothing on the other face? Might try contacting Garlock and send them an image. If they recognize and can give you an equivalent #, maybe you can cross ref that into another brand with a minimum quantity of 1.

Brandenberger, I will check the diameters of the equivalent seal on my VN 28 support. If it looks like the same part, we can at least hunt together. :-)

Isn't that just an oiler that you push the oil can up against and the ball moves in ?

After reading post again.

You say the push button is .311 that is almost 8 mm could you find a small seal with an 8 mm bore and make a bushing to fit?

Isn't that just an oiler that you push the oil can up against and the ball moves in ?

After reading post again.

You say the push button is .311 that is almost 8 mm could you find a small seal with an 8 mm bore and make a bushing to fit?

This is a plunger. You push the “button” which is spring loaded, inside the casting the plunger pushes a measure of oil into the bearing. Whole plunger is in oil normally, so if the seal isn’t a good fit eventually the reservoir will all drain out.

The McMaster part 5154T47 almost works.

It has no nice steel outer face, and the ID fit is sloppy and it
Leaks slowly.

I might remake the plunger to .313, if I can’t find a better option.

Or maybe we need a group buy to special order the part from Garlock, the Klosure 63x0005, which is apparently the successor. How many leaky arbor supports can there be out there on VNs? :)

I tried that. Garlock says “we haven’t made that in decades but is replaced by 63x0005”

SKF lists another part as equivalent, which McMaster has as 5154T47.

Hi,

To close this out: thanks for the pointer to BDI, this is exactly the right part
and they had them in stock. I bought a few extras.

For posterity if you need to replace these seals at least
on a VN 22L arbor support you want garlock 63x0005, as
Pictured.

460AEE1E-EF23-464A-9607-9FF2FB88659A.jpg

Press in until flush.

Back